Sunday, April 29, 2012

Calayan Island: Twosome Adventure



I reached Calayan Island, unblemished. Haha. Only tanned and all wet. It was a little bit scary toploading the lampitaw. I was even taking emo-shots of myself while the waves were still calm. I would have been brave outside, a little fearful inside being on top of the boat, I described as “like in the Waterworld movie.”  But you know, God sometimes sends you unpredictably, people who will make the journey light, fun, and fear-less.


Yes, EAZY Traveler (Edgar Alan Zeta Yap), came along, with the same plans as me, to go to Calayan Island. So instead of solo, this became a twosome adventure. 



SPIRITED.
Look at him, he was standing-toploading the boat with his camera, crazi-ly shooting Fuga Island, holding on to a wooden bar. I couldn’t even turn my head towards that island in the west, as I was facing east, with a tight grip on the wood pole of the boat.

DARING.
EAZY was all wet as well. All over, like me. He sat beside me, and we were counting the splashes of waves that would slap our faces and our entire bodies. It was unfair, since some of the passengers never got wet where they were seated. So we concluded, “we are destined to get drenched for this adventure. Better than getting wet at Enchanted Kingdom’s Rio Grande ride. This is the real boat ride.”


SINCERE.
While braving all these, he still managed to ask me, “So you really travel solo?” I nodded. “So you are the real solo traveler.” I just stared at him. I think he was starting to bully me, again.

COMEDY.
I cannot remember what other things we talked about. What I can remember is his humour, wit, and enthusiasm. We would shout, “Whale! Whale!” even if there were none. And just laughed at ourselves to maybe sweep those fears away. Being soaked all over, and exposed, with the wind, we were cold, and wanted to pee. But how could we? I told him to just do it, just do not face me. Lol. Then we agreed that on every splash, we would little by little release. Eeew Edgar! Maybe he did. Ahaha. Lol. How challenging it is to be so isolated.


SWEET.
As a traveller who just go and touchdown at my destinations, I did not arrange for anything. I was supposed to arrange with a friend who was related to a government official in Calayan, but the waves took all my brains away. I heard Ed, talking to someone over the phone, while he was standing-on-topload, arranging for our homestay and meals. That was sweet. I pretended I did not know. Haha. He told me we got some discount. Great!

CANDID.
When we arrived at the plain ocean shore of Calayan Island. This young man again started to take photos. I can say he has focus. He walked. At first instance, he “abandoned me and left me behind.” He admits this, I swear. Haha. When we reached Tes Singun’s homestay, he was welcomed with likeness. Then when he saw me, he told me, “Oh ang itim mo!” Admittedly I was. I thought, this guy is blunt. Or again, maybe am not used to having “another” with me. So I have to bear with his sweet frankness.

PASSIONATE.
What’s new? He wanted for us to go after lunch. Go where? Explore the island. Good thing I asked Mommy Tes if they had a bike. Because this young man would let me trek that long road to Sibang Cove. And after being splashed with seawaters for 5 hours, where is he getting his stored energy?


ARTISTIC.
Mommy Tes gave us Banayuyu Fruit Wine to taste. What Edgar did was to arrange the wine with the fresh fruits, brought it outside, near the window for a good shot. As good as its taste.

CARING.
We trekked under the heat of the sun. We walked and walked and walked. He was 30 minutes ahead of me. And I would hear him shout my name to check on me. He is thoughtful. Not a single moment did I think that he doesn’t care at all about me.



PERFECTIONIST.
The best thing that happened to us, is we got lost trekking. And look what he found. This very breathtaking view of the coves. He wanted me to take the best shot of him with the right framing.



CONSIDERATE.
When we got home, he still wanted to go back to the cove. I told him it will get dark by the time we get back. And it will be difficult for me. Maybe not for him. But for me. He listened.




A lot more adjectives I can describe this travel buddy who came out of the blue, who crossed my path. I can type more words to describe him earnestly. As it is overflowing here in my heart.



Five days of being with him is not a joke. We stayed in a dorm room, in separate beds; he would stay at the double deck (upper) because he said he wanted to be elevated. Haha. I would be in another double deck bed. We chose that instead of sharing a bed, because we both did not want to sleep beside each other. Ahaha. Logical.

We had our meals together always; shared cheese, bread, and little lobsters. We listened to those around us together; biked together; laughed a lot together. Even if most of the time he “left me behind” when we went up the Nagudungan Hill, I appreciate his presence. It was senseless to be alone there. The splendour of the place was better shared with someone. And though we were busy taking photos of the majestic Nagudungan Hill and its chasms, knowing that I was with somebody was enough security. That thought that somebody is right next to you up there. There would be times, he would wait for me, without him telling me. I just know. Even if he wanted to go ahead.

And who would forget that laughter we had when I had a Marilyn Monroe moment while he was shooting. And he would tell me that over and over again.


When it rained in Calayan, and when it was a cloudy, windy day, we declared it as our “tamad (lazy) day” and was spent all day sleeping. I would wake him up but he wouldn’t. He tried to wake me up too, but I couldn’t. The other hours he spent reading his lonely planet book. I called him the Piding (Calayan Rail) expert as he read all those manuals about Piding.

Who can forget that time when he was approached by other guests saying, “Oh I read you at the Smile Magazine. You are Edgar Yap.” There you go, the Kilabot ng Calayan Title. There I knew that it was the starstruck moment for him. Photo op and all. 



One evening, he humbly told me those travel writing that he was doing and his future new job, I consider a heart to heart sharing.

That last night was the most memorable and funny. We slept in the mat in the receiving area. Because of some strange things happening in our room, we vacated immediately. We slept together, side by side after all. And he would say in the brown-out darkness of the night, “Di ka makatulog ano? Hindi ka nag-snore e.” I replied, “Hindi ako sanay nang may tao sa katabi.”  Lol.




1,200++ words are not enough to narrate and share with you, E-yan, that experience of being with you. Am sure you know that. And I know that you are even greater than what I wrote. And nothing can describe the entire being in you. Not even your out of this world creative words. You are beautiful, continue to inspire, fly high, keep those feet on the ground. I will forever be a fan. And a friend.

And those other things i will not share, let them remain in my heart. Forever.

Erk. Erk. 

*******************************************
Thank you EAZY for some of the photos I used here.


Enjoy Life!
Journeying Pinay

9 comments:

Drew said...

Hihi! Uyyyy!!! :D :D :D

Edgar Alan Zeta-Yap said...

Thank you very much Journeying Pinay! *blush*

www.eazytraveler.com

Journeying Pinay said...

youre most welcome Mr. Yap :) I'll do the links to your site next time. :D

Edmar del Castillo Guquib said...

Tralalalala... Olalalaala... ang cheesy, Gawd! haha... Kaya pala paparazzi ah haha... The second photo. aba... may spark, lol. Ang ganda mo dun Heiz framis mukang inspired. Paulit-ulit ko lang binasa naaliw ako ng sobra :)

Unknown said...

Heiz, ganda! :-) Hope I could tag along in some of your 'solo' travels! Ika nga nung nagsabi sayo - Get out of your comfort zone! lol :-D

Unknown said...

haha ang cute....

Journeying Pinay said...

tralala Edmar! dah.

Journeying Pinay said...

hey paula. Thanks. sure you can always tag along.

Unknown said...

:-D! We'll do it real soon! PM me your schedule! :-) **blush**...lol!