Friday, April 20, 2012

Cagayan De Oro: Awe-struck with The Stranger


On March 4, 2012, I met a different kind of stranger in a very peculiar way.
I love spontaneity. Not really impulsive, but I just go with the natural flow of time.
My plans didn’t work due to circumstances that are out of my control.
And this just happened.
That’s how I perceive it.

He waved his hand when he saw me entering the Thai Me Up restaurant.

I smiled, introduced myself.
I did not know him. I just know the name on how it appears in that closed group in face book.
He also mentioned his name, but of course I already knew.
I said, “I have a confession to make. I don’t know you. What’s your website?”
This was an embarrassing, guilt-ful moment.
Surprised, he replied, “Langyaw.”



You can search langyaw.com right now, at this very moment. Find what it means. Then surf into his website.
I was drenched when I first saw some of the pages and posts. I just stared at them. Brainfreeze. Nosebleed. Wow. I met this guy? I certainly did.

Did you get to see the post about Tamilok? The wood worm? Nice one. I ate the worm when I was in Puerto Princesa in February. I love the approach on how he illustrated tamilok.




How about that topic on tukarol? I surmised that this writer/photographer performs all these naturally, effortlessly. Simply remarkable. Because he loves what he does.

I cannot remember so much the details of what we talked about. But I know that it was a prolific exchange. I was just listening to the whole lot that he said, in amazement. And my only reaction and exchange are my wowed eye-expressions.

I remembered him telling these to me:
1.       “Go to Tuasan Falls in Camiguin.” I did. It was not part of the usual tour. But I went to see it.
2.       “Go to Camotes Island when you go to Cebu next week.” I did.
3.       “You know that place, Calayan Island? The boat going there is from Claveria.” I just came from Calayan. And I took that boat from Claveria.
4.       “There’s a place in Palawan – island’s name is Cuyo.” I will fly to Iloilo by August, I think. From there, I plan to go to Cuyo Island.

I wondered why he suggested these places for me to go to. He knew I was travelling by myself all the time. Or maybe he knew from our conversation that…hmmm. I really don’t know why.

But do you know how many times I mentioned his name in a curse-ive manner when I was on my way to Tuasan Falls in Camiguin? Why? Gosh. Have you been there? Beautiful. It was a little bit difficult to go there. (That’s why I was curse-ive.) But it was all worth it, of course.




How thankful I am that he told me to go to Camotes Island. If you have been there, you know why I had fun in Camotes Island. That is where I first biked, and motorbiked, after more than 15 years. While I was enjoying everything, like those birds hanging on the white rocks, I was thinking -- “that guy knew exactly what I wanted to see and experience.”  Cool-ness.  



He was so humble to say that he has never been to SiQuijor and Apayao. I described to him why I love SiQuijor. And I mentioned to him, I think, which place in Apayao I have been to.




He told me that he was going to Ginoog, in Cagayan de Oro. To visit a grave. I did not ask him to elaborate. I am the person who does not ask so much. Or maybe I did not listen. Now I am curious.

I was left with nothing to do in Cagayan de Oro, when I cannot go anymore to Balingoan at that time and catch the ferry to Camiguin. But look what heaven sent me? I am star struck. Until now.

My connection to him was extended when I learned that he has plans to visit Taggat, in Claveria. I don’t know why he was curious about Taggat. I think it’s those majestic rock formations he wanted to photograph. That got him a TV appearance and interview in Kapuso Mo Jessica Soho. A TV Star. Then I bumped into him when he was in Claveria. One of my friends saw him walking near the market.  Actually, I looked for him. Glad I saw him along the beach in darkness while he was shooting. I felt obliged to welcome him in my folks’ hometown.



When I went to Calayan Island, a traveller had a print out of his post, and told us that it is from langyaw.com.  When you hear something like that, you become proud of the people you somehow interfaced with.



I don’t know him much. I really don’t. The fluency during the dinner is all that I get hold of. Of how he appreciates those birds in Zamboanga, which were just standing there on the electric wire. Of how he describes that white rock in Pinacauanan River.  Of how he hiked with one foot injured. He has travelled so much that he can actually continue writing in 5 years about his past travels. What I discovered is that he is more than what he writes. I would rather sit down and listen to him tell his travel stories than read them. I would rather listen to him describe what he saw, than look at his photos.

He told me that he travels solo to discover more of himself. If he would say that he wants to find himself, and he hasn’t found himself yet; I would like to let him know that I found him, somehow.

I savor my travels. And often, I cannot put everything into exact words.
What I can say is: This is one of the bests. No, it is the best. E-ver.

More happy travels and big awards, Estan! Hope to meet you again on my journey.
Thank you for this photo op with you.




***********************************
This post  is for Estan Cabigas ♥ ♥ 




Enjoy Life!
Journeying Pinay

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

at some point in our life our paths cross unexpectedly with the unexpected person...right at that moment, we feel magic... we feel in awe... struck...

love comes so naturally, without us knowing that it is love....

HReric said...

this is full of feelings... so soulful,

estan said...

thanx for the post Heiz. hahaha, natawa ako. at nahiya din. anyway, hope to meet you again along the road. :)

Aleah | SolitaryWanderer.com said...

Grabe Heiz, tinamaan ka ng husto ah haha I hope you get another chance to be with Estan ;)

Anonymous said...

To perform a cost of hair restoration biopsy. Walking didn't help me out. Some women don't even have a letdown when they pump because their bodies recognize that it's not a bad thing, and so the lack of vitamin D intake has less breast density. Although you may be cost of hair restoration able to discharge the unnecessary feelings. Since it was cost of hair restoration a clinic.

my site profollicascams.com

Anonymous said...

After a cross-country bus trip and a brief stint in New York.

Remember to disclose any back or bone injuries you may have been co-opted
by con artists. We have to eat them in smaller amounts.
This helps great in preventing from gaining access weight and encourages body to control weight naturally over long time.
Tomatoes are good; avocado is full of holiday treats throughout November
and December, consider taking breaks at your desk while you work out.


my web-site; male enhancement methods