Saturday, April 21, 2012

Travel Buddy: Migz, My Bike


I usually go to islands. I walk much. Or if it is a long coastal tour, I rent a habal-habal (motorbike).  Then I realized, I can drive the motorbike, as long as it is automatic. So I tried it when I was in Camotes Island. But I got scared. I was not in my territory. And I think any bad incident will not be covered by my health card. And with these three round scars on my legs, I think that would be enough reminders that I stop driving a 2-wheeled vehicle.



And how about that big bike of my cousin I drove to town, which I released on a curve to save myself, and let it drive itself?  Good thing it was that sturdy. I walked home that day, holding and pushing the big bike. And that was the end of my riding spree.

As a 10 year old semi-delinquent daughter, during a summer vacation,  I borrowed a bike and pedalled a usual 30-minute rough road by tricycle from our house in Claveria to my grandparents' barrio, Sta. Filomena, Calanasan Apayao. I cannot remember how many hours it took me to reach my destination. I enjoyed the winds and some drizzle hitting my young face. I just want to mention about my scars on my elbows; when at night I escaped the house to bike around the village in Manila; and since my brother was after his bike, I stumbled on a pothole. But that never stopped me.

When I was in Siquijor, I was tempted to rent a bike. That was only a 72 kilometer coastal ride. When I was in Camiguin the week after, I should have rented a bike. But I was in a hurry. So the week after, I made sure I will get a bike in Camotes Island, Cebu. After 10-15 years - i finally got hold of a bicycle! Weeheee!




When I planned to go to Calayan Island, I was sure I would like to buy a bike. But I did not have time. In Claveria, while waiting to board the boat to Calayan Island, I was persuading a man to lend me his bike when we reach Calayan Island. He said that it is his service bike from their barrio to Centro. I did not insist anymore.




When I reached the house of Mommy Tes Singun (I felt so close to her, I call her Mommy!), the first thing I asked was, does she have a bike? She confirmed. Then she let me borrow it. For free. Yihee! I roamed around with her bicycle.




I saw an old Spanish house. I saw the full moon. I saw a river. More than what I can see, I love the ride. That free feeling. Did you know that I can bike with no hands? No hands holding the handle bar, and just pedal. I remember my brother, as a teenager, while riding his bmx would say “Look Ma, no hands!” I can do that too.



I am so excited that I bought my own folding bike. One of my friends wanted me to join the fireflies group of bicycle owners/riders. I declined.

Why I bought a bike? I just want to ride it. And wander around. If I can’t climb uphill with it, I can fold it and ride it in a bus or a jeepney or a bus or hitchhike in a truck. Or when my legs get tired, I can do that. We ride together – in a vehicle or just us.




Friends, I would like you to meet Miguel. Migz for short. My new travel buddy. Let the bike trips begin. 




Enjoy Life!
Journeying Pinay

No comments: