Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Lady Who Travels By Herself

"Mag-isa ka lang?" (Are you one? hahahaha - just kidding. "are you alone?")  is the only greeting that I get from homestays, backpackers’ inns, budget hotels, in airport’s waiting areas, in ferries, boats, in restaurants, and the FAQ (frequently asked question) in my facebook photos when i post them.

I am still somehow puzzled, even at the moment, on how to answer that. I should have created a script or spiel. But my normal answer is a simple "Yes!" with a sweet smile, and a little nod, and my eyes widening a bit.

bodyboarding at Sentinela Beach, Claveria, Cagayan Valley


Then there comes the next question, a straightforward  "Why?"

(silence. count 5.. 4.. 3.. 2.. 1..)


That is exactly what fills the air -- silence.

Did I really have to answer?



Now that I finally put in writing the reason why, there have been a lot of lingering pauses, which has lasted months, since that time that I decided that I would travel on my own and start to document my travels though this blog site. It took me to first explore already and have my own adventures in some islands, before I can even write why.


What if I respond with an uncomplicated “I just.” (Basta lang.) ahaha! The end.

A little seriously speaking (I am really sincere about writing this, but it has really been so tough), here’s why:

Maybe it is by Chance. I had all my weekends to myself. And my company has provided me with almost a 20-nonwork day paid leaves. Hence, I can have an early weekend or extend it. Good for me. Also, I can actually have a straight 3 weeks off, which I will avail when I go to Japan, hopefully end of this year. In relation to my semi 8 to 5 desk job mixed with a little bit of fieldwork and land travels, I do my version of  Lakbay-Norte. From Manila, I take a bus to Pampanga, I traverse to Tarlac;  go out of the way to Subic, Olongapo & Zambales; visit the Bangus Capital, Pangasinan; surf to La Union; chill in Baguio, then go farther North, Laoag. What do I do? I visit the people of my company assigned in these areas, see how they are, ask “Kumusta?” (How are you?), keep them alive and happy. And I am all by myself doing this. Somehow, I have been “trained” to go solo.

chillax at Cagayan de Oro

It had become my Choice. I didn’t want to be stuck. I didn’t want to just live. I didn’t want to just wait and see. I didn’t want to grow older and later die not seeing that other part of the world and the rest of the 7000 islands of my country.

walking the rocky bumpy road to Port Barton, San Vicente, Palawan


I didn’t want to wait for my friends, cousins, work mates, to have a free time that will match that same time that my feet would like to wander and wonder, so that we can travel together. Besides, our free times don’t match after all. As they are either busy with their priorities in life, families, career, love life, business, shopping, movies, among others. I didn’t want to wait for my savings to reach billions so that I can enjoy a package tour and a suite life. I didn’t want to wait for my bones to be weakest that I can’t climb Mount Pulag or Mount Apo any longer, or walk the paths of the Great Wall of China. I didn’t want to wait for my eyes to have the least vision that I can’t see the beauty of the sunrise and sunset up in the sky anymore.

chasing the sunset at Larena, SiQuijor

Last but not the least, (and the crucial reason... hahaha) I didn’t want to wait for a partner that I still have to persuade to travel and come along with me. Ang tagal e, ahaha. (It has been taking a long time #impatient) (But I am still waiting, though. He can just come along.)


waiting, waiting, waiting at El Nido, Palawan
I am a Cool and Calm Traveler. When I am just by myself, I begin to have time to listen to the music of nature, be it the sounds of birds, insects, waves, winds. I begin to see the beauty, not only of the natural wonders, also the people I interface with along the way. It is likely that I can capture the total magnificence of a place when am alone. It is also when I am with no-one else that I become very independent, more resourceful and find my way out; ask around, be street-smart, be myself, and be brave-r. When there is nobody to talk my senses out, I naturally chat with someone who looks sensible. This has brought me new friendships. And there is something magical when you start to laugh with strangers. Fears of being all alone in an unfamiliar place completely vanish, and are replaced with security. This magic is what makes me want to go back to that place for a second time, or even more. Or stay there forever.

waiting for the sunrise at Camotes Island, Cebu


It is my Commitment. To myself. To live my life. Morbidly speaking, to live the remaining active weeks of my life to the fullest. Live every moment and make each moment count. To savor. To intently be joyful. This may sound sentimental and emotional to you, but I am writing it romantically. Please believe so J. It’s not only living my life, but loving it and everything that goes with it. 

at Calayan Island


These may not be all of the reasons why. As I continue to travel solo, I know that it will all be more sensible, with the new experiences, new people, and new places that I will encounter.

The above is difficult to utter in its complete context when I am asked why I travel by myself. Maybe I will print this and carry a copy with me when I travel. Or save it in my notepad. Haha. I can imagine myself that I can actually do that. Kidding aside, will I ever attempt to deliver this speech word for word and be understood? I prefer not to. I would stick to answering with a simple "Yes!" with a sweet smile, and a little nod, and my eyes widening a bit, followed by the sweet silence, with all the love and sincerity in my heart. 

praying in Camiguin

To put all of these words into a simple statement, God led me to travel. Solo (maybe for a while J). And I just go with it. Freely. So let it be. This is for real. I travel all by myself. No more, no less.


with Lakay Lakay, Baket Baket Rock Formations in Taggat, Claveria, Cagayan Valley





24 comments:

RM Bulseco said...

I tried solo traveling a few days ago. Yung kasama ko eh last minute nag back out... so ayun. From Clark, I rode a bus to Dagupan alone. Mejo kinakabahan ako. Although mejo na stress ako sa solo traveling ko, I won't abandon the idea of trying it... but maybe hindi muna ngayon. :D

Unknown said...

i have only travelled alone once.that was 1999 where i went to tuguegarao city without any plans on what to do or see. fortunately, a friend of mine who lives there suggested that i visit pagudpud which was not as popular then as it is now. i remember the excitement of discovering places i haven't been to.

one thing i also liked was getting to meet new acquaintances like in buses, resorts, or wherever life takes you. my only problem was someone taking your photo, ha ha ha.. i have to ask strangers to take shots of me and in return i also take their picture and try to send them a copy via snail mail (emails were not widely used then, especially in provinces)

Journeying Pinay said...

am glad nakabalik ka Renz. ahaha. :) yes, it will give you heart palpitations when you are alone for the first time. when youre ready, it is fun. :)

Journeying Pinay said...

Thanks Batanggala. Taking my own photos -- will be another post. :) Thanks for the share.

Anonymous said...

Too sad, i just discovered the beauty of traveling solo later in life.But still,Im happy and excited to have done it.And I have bloggers like you to thank for.You have always been an inspiration! My fear of traveling vanish,not all at once though,coz im still dumb with maps,and i always get lost when i travel.But then again,I learn to trust my instincts and to trust people....

Tsari

Anonymous said...

I also prefer to travel in "solo" because... I don't want to hear someone complaining about the long hours travel time and the misfortune that you'll meet along the road. Pag ikaw lang isa mag travel, you have the time of your life.

Of course, taking pictures is not a problem anymore with the help of so called "tripod." =) I've mastered taking pictures of myself as if someone took them on my behalf. Thanks to the person who invented the tripod.

Angelyn said...

Hi, I once heard from a stranger - who soon became my friend, that you can never be alone. You can be solo, but you'll always be with other lone travelers, which can actually be a crowd. I just got back from a long-term trip around southeast Asia. I took my time well (half a year, to be exact). I was never in a hurry. That's what I love about long-term traveling. And the most exciting part is, I did it by myself. It was quite a change to be surrounded by complete strangers in an unknown place. But it was fun. I can be myself, and I can be the person I want to be because nobody knows me. But I cannot deny the fact that I was a bit scared. I was. I even bought travel insurance, in case something goes worst than I can imagine.

Traveling solo especially for long-term travelers is one of the best way to immerse one's self to various cultures and to the local lifestyle. And if you want to know more about yourself, go solo.

Hope to bump into you someday, somewhere. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

it's good to travel solo para bagahe mo lang iniintindi mo and besides walang tutulog tulog pag gusto na ng paa mong maglakad kahit isang kilometro at higit sa lahat hawak mo ang oras mo na hindi ka nagmamadali sa isang lugar na pinasyalan mo.
traveling solo is another way of acquiring friends or acquaintances. basta mag jive ang interest niyo.
i travel solo and traveling solo for me is loving, appreciating myself even more.

Journeying Pinay said...

there's no such thing as "too late" Tsari. Thanks for sharing. and it is fun to get lost. Happy Travels!

Journeying Pinay said...

see you on the road Angelyn! your comment is an article! thanks for that! :D

Journeying Pinay said...

wow i like that -loving, appreciating self even more.tama ka jan! :D

TheFrugalWanderer said...

Oh my gosh. I love this post! You made me realize that I could just not wait for other people to come with me before I learn to go out on my own. There are truly a lot of things to experience out there. This is absolutely inspiring. Thank you!

JOV of Travex Travels said...

Pa-hitch na po talaga next time! Kennon trekking na next month. Haha. :)

Anne Amante said...

Wow.. Your blog is so cool :) ..Very inspiring.. Im just new in blogging and also love traveling.. Wishing I could do that too, I had that plans before but I end up going with my bestfriend..

Anonymous said...

What was the first place you been to alone?

Journeying Pinay said...

youre welcome :D of course we couldn't wait. hahaha. be safe.

Journeying Pinay said...

hi anne. thanks. you can do it. :D am happy you have a bestfriend travel buddy.

Journeying Pinay said...

as a kid - in the forest. :) with rivers.

joan | the backpack chronicles said...

"Live every moment and make every moment count." - Sabi nga live each day as if it was your last. At the end of the day, it was not how long you live but how well you lived.

Takot din ako dati mag-solo travel pero nung natry ko na medyo naadik na ko. When your alone you don't have anyone else to worry about but yourself. Your more independent and your able to interact more sa mga locals. ^_^

Journeying Pinay said...

very well said (just like a blog) Joan! :) thanks for dropping by. take care and be safe.

singapore budget hotels said...

Hello .. I have never seen a smart articles that you created. It really helped me to get back my ideas for writing. I will save this post, for I learn more

Journeying Pinay said...

Thank you so much. Yes, you can share the idea. Am glad you learned something from this post. Happy Travels! Enjoy Life!

Unknown said...

Wow! I am happy that you visited my place (Claveria). But Miss how did you manage to be alone? what's with being alone that made you(I guess) happier than with someone?

Anonymous said...

hi. ang sarap ng solo. hawak mo oras mo at mas marami ka magagawa.