Sunday, April 1, 2012

Siquijor: I Found Cameras and Lenses, And So Much More

when i arrived in dumaguete, negros occidental, i dropped by the drugstore. to buy drugs. for my headache.

the usual, i ask people anything. "saan po ang masarap kainan dito?" (where is the best place to eat?)

the lady replied, "sorry, hindi ako taga dito." (am not from this place. so i dont know the area)

me: oh okay. so may i know here are you from? (napa-English na po ako)

she: am from that small island there.

me: (curious to hear that "small" island) which island is that?

she: siquijor.

me: oh am gonna go there maybe day after tomorrow.

she: so you travel? are you alone?

me: (a simple) yes.

she: when you arrive there, look for .... you have to ride... there are trips at night ... etc.

i got her number. her name is Sandra.

after exploring the island for 1 and half days, i decided to meet Sandra in her small town. she asked me to go to their house. there, i met her family. it was more than pancakes and condensed milk for snacks. it was a little rainy that day. she asked me where i have been, i said: "to the caves, to the witches (just kidding), and to the 72 kilometers coastal ride. except the sunset."

when i said, i missed the sunset at larena beach, she right away said: "the sun is up, c'mon, let's go let's go."

together with James, her husband, we hopped into their vehicle and we went to their beach house. chased the sunset. i ran from where the vehicle was parked. i really ran as fast. and like baseball, i hit the base, just sat there on the wet sands, and by the beach, there, i was able to capture these shots of dusk.




while i was just staring and sitting there, Sandra was taking shots of me. hahaha. i was really exerting so much effort, with my small tripod, with my face already touching the sand, for a worm's view,and shot of this wnderful setting of the sun. no edits. it was really on orange overcast.

i had a very quick tour of their simple beach house. and Sandra told me, that she was supposed to tell me to stay there for a night but the water pipes along the road were being replaced, thus there was no water. she said, "nakakahiya kasi walang water." wow. that could have been best! but she said, i can go back anytime and go dolphin-watching. they also have boats.





when we went back, James ushered me to their house and showed me these! wattdah!








2 cabinets of old, functioning slrs. and a cabinet full of lenses. of course i was wow-ed. i only have a simple digital camera! and all the while, he though i was a professional photographer and that we would talk about cameras and lenses. (now that my camera went dead when i was exploring camotes island in march, am thinking, maybe i could borrow one ahaha)

Now back to my story.

James spent his childhood days in SiQuijor. he practically lived here-- his entire life. he spent his youth diving and seeing those virgin corals under the sea in Apo Island, he swam with the dolphins near their beach house, and he initiated some groups to save the oceans. he also does other things related to communicating to the world, but i think i am not allowed to tell it here.





He & his wife, Sandra, do more, than live in siQuijor. in that very short moment of chatting over dinner, with their daughter and her teacher, i was touched with what these couples do for the people in SiQuijor.





SiQuijor is a very lovely place. the beach, the sunset, the cave, the bakawans (mangroves) are perfect views for me. the overlooking view of the entire island on a drizzly-cloud-full day was oh-some.



but nothing of all of that would match what happened on my last night in siQuijor with James and Sandra. and that will forever be marked in my heart.

thanks for the dried mangoes, the notebook, and those very kind, inspiring words.

i went to siQuijor to explore and see what it is. but i gained more than what i am supposed to see. i really dont research about a place when i go. i just. go. and be surprised.

in siQuijor, so much surprises. and am definitely going back there soon, now that i have built a friendship with the photographer, James, his wife Sandra, and their big-hearted family.

though i was not able to buy that souvenir shirt, i can always proudly say, i heart siQuijor.




***********************************
this post is dedicated  for James & Sandra. 





6 comments:

-palos- said...

the picture shows the awesomest still of that time..
kung marunong lang ako magkalikot ng motorbike, may motorcycle diaries siguro ako.. haha

Pinoy Adventurista said...

Wow! eto yung kinukwento mo... Hope to meet James and Sandra too! thanks for sharing... :)

Journeying Pinay said...

yeah and i was astonished. very humble man.

Journeying Pinay said...

surely Mervin. let's go back there. i'll notify you when i go.

escape said...

ito na pala yung kinukwento mo. balak kong nakawin yung mga camera na yan. hahaha... now that's how to take on a new story on siquijor.

Eric said...

Hi there, thanks for visiting my home place..I was born there but spent most of my time in Olongapo.
I haven't been home in Siquijor since 2006...I just want to meet James when I get home this year..which part in the island I could see him?