Sunday, April 29, 2012

Touchdown Calayan Island


I waited for 30 days. I was ready to travel alone, as usual. I already asked the contact numbers of the boats that will be coming from Claveria, Cagayan Province. I have been in contact with them and I was sure there will be a boat going to the island on a Wednesday. 

Calayan Island – Here I come!! This is it!


I do not know what to see in Calayan Island. I have been hearing about Fuga, Calayan and Dalupiri. When  Estan Cabigas of Langyaw.com mentioned the name of the island to me when we met in Cagayan de Oro in March, I was sure where I was heading to on the long weekend in April. Thanks to him, for motivating me to explore those islands not too many go to. Maybe only the fearless travelling souls would go. Like crazy me.

The boat did not push thru on a Wednesday, due to the tail-end of the cold front that brought strong winds in Northern Luzon. What the boat operators would always say, “if the weather is fine.” The coast guards from Calayan and even contacts in Taiwan would advise if go or no go.

I did not understand why. But I had to. I only experienced a cancelled ro-ro/ferry ride when I was bound to Caramoan Island. If they say that waves are unmanageable, no boat/ferry would dare sail away. Even if there is good weather at the port, miles away would be a different scenario.

MV Macara


On Thursday morning, aboard the MV Macara, I toploaded the passenger boat. It was loaded with dozens of fuel for cooking, bottles of softdrinks, around less than a 100 men women children. When I saw it the day before, I was already scared to push thru.  Really. I did not expect it to be this way. Two  nights before, I saw Estan in Claveria. I remember him telling me about the boats. And since it was windy, he mentioned too that the weather was not fine. He knows, he has been there. And I think was the first one to ever write about the island.  

sunrise in Claveria

I do not know which blood my ancestors got these ones running into my veins. I was really set to go. I woke up early as the boat will leave by 6 in the morning. We went to the beach as it was low tide and I heard them say that the boat was heavy. Am glad I can understand Ilocano a bit. The sun was up and the sky was already bright, and I was still at the beach shore. I didn’t know what caused the delay. There were more people boarding the boat. Whatdah. I have to be patient.

one of the crew of MV Macara


We were parked far from the beach shore. I already got seasick. I have waited for 2 hours already. Finally we sailed. It was a long ride. I was seated at that side where the waves would splash at me like a pail of water smacking right at my face. I was wet all over. At least I had my backpack sealed in plastic and was kept inside a safer place away from the waves.


me & my braided hair

After 2 hours, I see Fuga Island. Then Dalupiri Island. Beautiful coastline. That swept all my cares away. And I thought, I will see you one day. Soon.

Another 3 hours of all ocean. It was like forever. The heat of the sun was penetrating and I knew I would be so tanned when I reach Calayan Island. The waves are a bit big but the ocean was calm.

There it is, not as flat as Fuga Island. It had a soaring mountain. “It is not an island. It is a country.” As I got nearer, it appeared prettier. And the excitement was thrilling. It was not the same as the other islands I have been to. This one has a different charm. It all looked wild and untamed. I did not know what to imagine. I did not research, as usual. I just arrive in my destinations. And see for myself. I still feel captivated as I write this 30 days after.

plain seaport (right side)

plain seaport (left side)


Touchdown at Calayan Island. Thanks God we landed safely. And thanks God for the beauty of this wonderful place. Simply mesmerizing.


No comments: