Monday, January 6, 2014

Itbayat, Batanes Isles: My Woozy Ride To Itbayat, Island


Let me start this with much appreciation to many friends who allowed me to bring 29 kilogram of stuffs boxed in two, which I brought to Itbayat Island. The trip to Batanes was coupled with a longing of my heart. I had no particular destination, no schedule for twelve days. Then friends in Basco told me, “You have to go to Itbayat then.” When I heard that, I just smiled. If you know how I travel, you would sense that the smile was just a sincere smile. And if you dig deep within my thoughts, there is nothing there. If you know what I mean.

On Sunday.

I grab the bike from the neighbour on a Sunday afternoon. I stroll to the port. But what I am looking for is not there. The Itransa office is closed but is filled with cargo waiting in front of their office. What is amazing is that they are untouched by the many people who pass by the streets during the celebration of Three Kings in Basco. There is no one I can talk to.

Then, sometimes, the heavens just lead you to people who can make your life easier. Is there a boat tomorrow to Itbayat? Xandy, the Itransa staff answers, “It Depends.” On the winds, on the waves. So I start to pray. So I can got to Itbayat.

at Basco Port



On Monday.

It is a drizzly dark morning. I am up at 4. An hour after, I carry my backpack and ride in a tricycle to go to the port. Ruben weighs the boxes. “There were stars last night,” I comment. Ruben jokes, “No more stars today. It is morning.” Then the coastguard signs the manifesto. I ask, “So are the waves okay?” He replies, “Mahangin nga po. Hindi ko sana papayagan, pero normal lang kasi ito dito.” (It is windy. I should not allow, but this is just the usual here.) Then he looks up to the sky. And I look up too.

The ride begins. All aboard! To Itbayat!



itbayat boat and waves


I am trying to be normal and calm as I jump into the Noah-Ark like boat. This boat is smaller than that of the boat that took me to Calayan Island which passed through the Babuyan Channel. That ride was not as scary as the ride from Calayan to Sta. Ana. Now, I do not know what to expect.

A quick photo before we sail is all I could think off. The crew are laughing when I say, “Picture muna tayo para maayos pa itsura natin.” (Let us have a photo op first while we still look okay!)


boat ride to itbayat batanes

I do not know where to position myself. So I just sit at the right side. We are sailing not far from the port and...splash! Though the crew covered the right side and the front part with a tarpaulin, the seawaters are aggressive. I have to transfer. The other passengers tell me to stay in the center. I have to sit comfortably for the three-hour unpredictable ride.

I notice that no one is exempted from getting wet. A quick impulse to get my raincoat in my bag is a lucky thing. Then I put the camera in my dry bag. Then I cover myself with the thermal jacket.

It is a long rio grande endless wrestle with the troubling waves. The candies in my bag are my only console. Splish! Splash! Splatter! Drizzles of seawater moisten my face. And as I taste the candy in my mouth, sweetness begins mixing with the saltiness of my lips. As I touch my cheeks, it is covered with rock salt. Can you imagine that I can have a free face scrub now? I nod. I smile. Then the milk tea from my tummy gets woozy.

The waves are higher than the boat. I try to ignore. Then I spot flying fishes. Then as the sun from behind us tries to sneak a quick peek through the thick clouds, I see prisms of colors in the sea sprinkles. No I cannot be dizzy now. I can only say “whoa!” for every thud of a huge intense wave.

This is my third experience of battle-ing with the killer waves. The first is the ferry ride from Calayan Island, Babuyan Islands to Sta. Ana, Cagayan Valley. The second is that haunting sail with some fishermen from Fuga Island, Babuyan Islands to Claveria, Cagayan Valley, that froze my legs in fear and let me sing in worship while seeing flying fishes.

And it is only now that I share this experience which is actually not new to me.

After the tussle, dawned a calm sea as we get nearer Itbayat. I can see the edge and the gorges of the island. Can I again say, “this is not an island, this is a country!” Then I say, “this is flat grasshead! What I see from Basco is a cone-shape island.” Teacher Melyn’s comment is, “We passed by D’nem. You did not see it because of the tarpaulin. It is in the right side.”


gorges of Itbayat Island

I head to the rear part of the boat. Because it is calm. The crew are toploading. No, do not
tempt me.




toploading the boat to itbayat


Then, as I am bracing myself to go up the stairs, after minutes, the crew go down. So, I also go back to my original seat. Why so? You guessed it right; the big waves are here again. “The country” is huge and we are not yet “dock-ing”. How I really wish the sea was calmer. Anyway, I am near.



ready to topload the boat to itbayat



itbayat port! jump!

Welcome to me to the northernmost inhabited island of my country, Philippines. Welcome to me to Itbayat, Batanes Isles!


Itransa, an old boat sailing to Itbayat that is tested through stormy seas
Subok na Matibay!


Let me rest first. I cannot move. And I feel so weak. Braindead. Woozy! Whattah ride!

docked! at Chinapoliran Port Itabyat Port

View the video here >>> My Woozy Ride Video to Itbayat



*******
To know if they are sailing to Itbayat, you can contact Itransa's staff Xandy at +639086342401
Or contact Ruben, also from Itransa; his number is +639393659245



8 comments:

Rey Danh said...

Such a wonderful island of Philippines :)

Ive noticed your profile pic,,, that's my hometown Claveria. Hope you had a great vacation when you were there Maam :)

Dave (Silverbackpacker ) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dave (Silverbackpacker ) said...

interesting post Heiz...... is this boat leaving from mainland Luzon?? I am wanting to travel to Batanes but have no wish to fly there and would love to travel by sea.......

Journeying Pinay said...

hey dave! the boat is from Basco, Batan. There is a big ship that travels to Batanes from Manila Port. the ships I saw has "La Union" printed in the body.

Journeying Pinay said...

hey dave! the boat is from Basco, Batan. There is a big ship that travels to Batanes from Manila Port. the ships I saw has "La Union" printed in the body.

Unknown said...

hi! im looking for a cheaper way to go to basco batanes.. can you pls help me? is there ferry going to basco batanes? hoping for a quick response.. thankyou in advance.. god bless!

Teacher.adventurer said...

is there a ferry from claveria to batanes? cuz im from la union. i never knew of currimao port..so since claveria is closer to batanes, there must be a boat going there..pls help me find out if there is..thanks

Teacher.adventurer said...

im from la union. i dont have idea about it. even if it sail or not to poro port. i read some blog about curimao port and latest is claveria. i hope to find ferry going to batanes