Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Fuga Island: Fantastically Fabulous


She spent her growing up years exploring all the corners of this island.





She would be the best picker of little octopuses along the shore. She would also use a fishing rod for her and grandparents meal for lunch.

She dived into the pristine waters. And enjoyed swimming with the fishes of this rich resource.


posting this to show the beautiful fishes under the sea of Fuga Island
(i asked the fisherman to give me this so that I can throw it back in the waters. but it was too late)


She entered the tunnel-cave, believed to be the hiding place of the Japanese soldiers during the war. The entrance would be in Turod and the end of the tunnel would be somewhere in Punta point, where treasure tales of gold bars and old jars emerge.




She would roam the island as the best horse-back rider.



I am sure that she enjoyed the gorges that this island has created. A dozen of diverse serrated rocks with a grassy top. When the water is low, its base would be stunning, untouched coral reefs.





And even on high tide, the clear waters would show the house of Nemo. I am sure that she stayed here most of the time, as this had a very clear view of the other two islands, Barit and Mabag.

a man in yellow shirt is sitting at the edge of this chasm





And this would give the best view of the sunset.



In Mabag, I heard that she had so much fun playing with her cousins in the corridors of this structure. As well as walked around along the beach to see the entire island.Awesome.




I dread to hear the story when the boat she was riding was swept by the gigantic waves and she was left swimming for two hours until she was rescued. That was so sad to hear, but what I love about it is when she gave her life vest to the only baby in the group. And that now, she is the godmother of that blessed boy. What a sacrifice, life-saving moment.

I would like to think that this place is so close to her heart. Mudok was such a exquisite place. The grassy plaza that becomes a grazing and play land of all the animals, goat, horses, black native pigs, chicken, dogs, etc.  This green grass leads to the elementary school where she built up little kids, and taught how to read and count. She is mentioned with high regard whenever they say her name.




Fantastic life.

I spent three days in the island. And I did not obey what she told me, not to go. I had a very great experience that wowed my senses and enriched my soul. I am simply astounded. I ate red rice in every meal, freshly caught fish, which we got while island hopping. Everything I got for free.





From the day I set my feet on the waters of Mudok, until now that I write this, everything haunts me beautifully. It is so much worthy of preservation. Its rich resources and unending treasure tales.  I will never let anybody spoil this marvelous place. That is a promise. 

Fabulous Fuga Island. 


This is the introductory post of my short but splendid trip to Fuga Island.

*****************************************************

This post is for Geraldine De La Cruz Ramos.
So can I just have that airlift when I return? 
No more boat rides please.
Happy Mother's Day!

5 comments:

Aleah | SolitaryWanderer.com said...

What a beautiful piece Heiz. True story to? Love the images too! When are you going back? Want to join you!

Journeying Pinay said...

Hi Aleah. Of course it is always a true story that i write. Thank you. I have more photos.and untold stories to tell. Behind the "blog", behind what i write. The waves going back were so treacherous.i wish for an airlift next time. surely you can come.

mig raine said...

maybe we can arrange for a chopper ride from the military so you can go back and tour us around.. LOL..
i really wish to see the place since the day i found the ruins on the net.. there really is beauty in aged structures.. i want a time machine to transport me there.. like in Bantayan Island, everything is just plain and simple.. indeed a paradise..

Pinoy Adventurista said...

I first heard about Fuga island in a news feature on GMA 7.. since then, I wanted to visit this remote island... so nice... i like the story of the girl... :)

rhymeister said...

Lovely photos and enjoy your descriptive writing style. Hopefully Fuga Island never grows into a commercial behemoth like Boracay. Surprised that the sand is so white!

Lovely place, hope to see it one day...