Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Travel Buddy I Never Asked For



I to travel solo. but the tail-end of the cold front affecting Northern Luzon can bring an unpredicted travel writer/photographer to come along. Two is a company, anyway. So was he really a companion?

As a solo traveller, I am used to being with myself, and with no one else. Just only me. J
I don’t tell people where I go. I just go.

It has been my plan that a long weekend will be devoted for Calayan Island. Then someone from that closed group of travel bloggers commented that he was going to Palaui, Calayan, Apayao. And I had those same plans.

on our way to Aparri from Junction Luna

He was going via Sta. Ana. I was set to come from Claveria. But his ferry from Sta. Ana has no schedule of trips the day he will arrive there. I did not know him. He was not even a friend in facebook. 

But we kept in touch. I was nervous. Who is this young man?


He was a little bit stubborn. And he was decided to proceed with his plans. But I was able to persuade him to change route and just go to Laoag. So that he can catch me at Claveria in time for the boat that leaves to Calayan Island on a Wednesday morning. If he took the Sta. Ana bus, I told him I would leave him and go on my own to Calayan Island. He complied with.

I was monitoring his arrival. As he might snoring-ly doze in the bus and go all the way to Junction Luna, and miss dropping off at Claveria. The boat was to leave at 6 a.m. I would call him by 3 in the morning and ask where he is. Only to answer me, “I don’t know.”

The day before, when he was travelling north, I told him that he can sleep at my mom’s house. But I said he had to bear with the clutter, cause my mom’s house is a little jumbled, as she lives on her own, and just left hurriedly to go somewhere, and I arrived at a little bit untidy house. This traveller replied to me, “Yuck! Ayoko nang magulo!”  So I said jokingly, “E di wag. Hindi ka na aantayin ng boat. Aalis na kami.”  Then he replied, “Ok, am dropping off at Tarlac and just go to Baguio.” Then there was silence. I can stop caring for this person right then, and say, “Who cares? Bahala ka.” I think I did say that, “Bahala ka.” And he replied, “Bahala ka rin.” Duh. Dah. It was all a joke of course.

I do not know this person. I have never interfaced with him. I don’t even know his blog site. It was weird. But I cared.


Finally, this man has set foot in Claveria. I went out early to buy bread and egg. For our breakfast. So I was not home when he arrived. As I walked down the street from the market, there I saw him. We quickly ate. Then he wanted to go. Already. Is he not going to rest a bit? It’s good that I was already geared up to go too.

We had a Plan B as the boat did not push thru going to the island because there were strong winds at that part of the sea. The coast guards held the boats.

We were headed to Pudtol, Apayao. We were casual. That feeling of having been friends a long time. And I was with this person for barely an hour.

with Tourism OIC of Pudtol

I told myself, I will just go with his flow.

He would ride beside the jeepney driver. So I did too. Even if I did not want to. We were left with no itinerary but to go farther north. Amazing that this young man knows a lot about Cagayan. Quickly he suggested that we go to Lallo, to see the church; go to Camalaniugan, to see the oldest bell. As I was surfing the net while we were in transit, he told me to search for those shells found along Cagayan River. The Neolithic  Shell Middens. That’s it. This guy is more than a traveller. More than a writer. He knows what he writes. He is a big time travel writer, I thought. I haven’t checked his link, so I really don’t know.

interviewing a fisher-couple in Aparri
What capped this day was when we rode into a truck. It was his idea. Not mine. Haha. So I did ride the truck with him. It was fun. Spontaneous.

hitchhiked in a truck

It was a long day. We were together for more than 12 hours till we touched down back to Claveria. Most of the time, he was asleep. He has been on the road for straight 24 hours.
I don’t know if he knew I was taking pictures of him. These candid photos of him reflect who he is: open, straight, sincere. He would do his own thing, I would do my own, and take my own photos, as usual. No demands. I like that about travellers, you recognize each other’s business. No hurrying up. No waiting. Just the right tempo.

in Aparri, at the mouth of Cagayan River

What I like about him are those comic punch lines, some funny, some bully-ish (yes I know, there is no word like bully-ish). Or maybe am not used to having a talking-buddy in my travels. It was usually quiet. This time, I would love listening to him. And just watch. He is young, I am young at heart. So I was expecting that elderly/gentlemanly-respect from him which I did not get. But which I like. As I felt he treated me like his peer. Same age, same wavelength. That was more comfy. I felt like I have been with him for days. I felt close. (feeling-era lang). Or maybe he became closer to my mom, when he got the chance to talk to her over dinner.

at Magapit bridge while waiting for a ride
I did not choose to be with him. He came along out of the blue. Good that he is tall, good-looking, presentable and smart. Hindi basta-basta lang. I am choosy with the people I like to travel with. Ahaha. Just kidding. But how lucky I was to be with him. Oh yes, that is how i felt. Blessed. Because I did not ask for it. Maybe I did in my prayer intentions before i chose to travel solo. But really, more than what I have asked for. More than enough. I did not expect anything at all.


Am sure you are smiling reading this, E-yan. And I heard that “tsismis probinsya”, that I have a boyfriend now. And that is you. Sure. Ahaha. I wish. Ahaha. 

with the oldest bell

This is just a preview of travelling with this young man. Gosh. I would still be with him in Calayan Island, for 5 days?! Oh no. Oh right. All right. My pleasure. I would love to.

You wouldn’t believe what happened there. I never thought that he would be the “Kilabot ng Calayan Island.” Really. They love him there. Because he is pleasant, modest, and uncomplicated to deal and be with. Kilabot sa ganda ng kalooban. Simply EAZY. Edgar Alan Zeta Yap. E-yan for me. #winkwink.



*****************************************
For Ean of http://www.eazytraveler.com/

toploading the lampitaw on our way to Calayan Island

Sincerely,
Journeying Pinay

18 comments:

Micamyx|Senyorita said...

What a heartfelt post! :D Kasama dapat ako nito eh but backed out the last minute lol. I met Edgar in Cambodia and nag-dinner din kami nina Drew in Manila once. I do really think na masaya kasama sa trip si Edgar kahit na may pagka-stubborn (Taurus ka rin ba?! Hahaha). Hope makasama na rin kita mag-travel soon! :D

darwin said...

Im sure edgar will smile pagnabasa nya to..haha!

parang same experience kayo ni ate gael..hahaha

Journeying Pinay said...

three is a crowd, i told him when you were supposed to come along too. ahaha. travel with him, with only you then. Thanks for reading Mica.

Journeying Pinay said...

hindi lang magsmile yun. he will laugh. haha. Thanks Darwin.

Edmar del Castillo Guquib said...

Malaking Awwwww!!! Huy! Kaya pala paparazzi haha.. Grabe, passionately written, puts smile on my face and surely Edgar too... Sa post mong ito parang na-starstruck tuloy ako kay EAZY haha. I will read it again tomorrow, I wanna memorize this post and the next time we'll meet, I will recite it with you, sa isang kondisyon... ask me kung bet mo. LOL!

Journeying Pinay said...

Hi ed. Mamarazzi. Naman, eazy is bigtime writer. He deserves our starstruck moments. Haha. Tara let's meet him over lunch tomorrow, we will recite. Yun lang you are busy and i will leave cigan by that time. Haha. Happy travels.

Unknown said...

Nice read! :-)

Aleah | SolitaryWanderer.com said...

Hala pano na si Estan? hahahaha

Journeying Pinay said...

thanks paula.

Journeying Pinay said...

aleaaaah! estan is estan. will forever be in my heart. <3

Pinoy Adventurista said...

Nakakatuwa naman ang experience nyo... I heard it first from you before I read this post... and... AHA! sobrang na-enjoy nyo kahit 1st time nyo nagkasama... Cheers!!! :)

Journeying Pinay said...

hello Mervs! yes i enjoyed the travel with a buddy :) Kampai!

darwin said...

ayiii! kinikilig uli, patang sa Mcdo lang after nung launch ng PHL360.??
PBB Teens!?

ayiiiieee!!!

Journeying Pinay said...

nostalgia. :)

Anonymous said...

you look good together :-)

Journeying Pinay said...

earthbooooy!!! :) Thanks.

Unknown said...

LOVE triangle!

Unknown said...

Was it me? Or was it you? Was it him or him...hehehe!