Saturday, October 15, 2011

Calvary Hills in Iguig, Cagayan Valley: A Time to Reflect


From Tuguegarao, I rode a van at the Don Domingo Terminal, with an “Iguig” signboard. It was noontime and the van dispatchers were telling me to go to Kambal’s Restaurant in Iguig to taste their Pansit Batil Patong. It was more than enough carbo-load to sustain my walks.




Then I crossed the street, and waited for a ride going to Calvary Hills. It took me a long time before I had the courage to wave my hand to the single motorcycles which ply the road more often than the vans or jeepneys. Finally, a rider stopped passed me. And I said, “Calvary Hills?” He said he was stopping before Calvary Hills so I just had to walk to reach my destination. But since the heat of the sun was pretty much burning my skin, Eric brought me to the gate of Calvary Hills.





The Calvary Hills of IguigCagayan Valley is a 11-hectare land of rolling hills. Enormous concrete statues portraying the 14 Stations of the Cross stand in this vast green. It is a favorite pilgrimage site of Christian Catholics during Holy Week.




Also found in this area are historic sites: a well dating back to the Spanish colonization of the Philippines, the ruins of a Dominican abbey, and one of the few churches with buttresses left in the Philippines -- the Church of San Antonio de Galicia.



The hills have a view of Cagayan River, which can be reached via a stairway at the back of the church.



There is also another church nearby which draws believers: Jubilee Cross Chapel, which boasts an authenticated relic of the true Cross. 



To gain shade from the scorching heat of the sun, I was seated behind the high white wall.  I watched the giant like statues, the abbey, the blue skies, as I reflected and found peace, after days of trekking, spelunking, and travelling.



When I’m done, I had more vigor to continue on. As the Cagayan River seems to have been following on, now, I am thinking of rowing.


Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind. ~ Seneca

No comments: