Saturday, October 15, 2011

Our Lady of Piat: A Visit


It was the third day of my Up North adventures. After caving for three days, I was obliged to include in the itinerary the place where religious people, like my mother, Gloria, set out when planning a visit in this part of Cagayan: Our Lady of Piat.




From N.Domingo in Tuguegarao City, a tricycle led me to the van and jeepney terminal. The van would be the first to be filled in capacity. I hopped in as the last passenger. Inside the van, were people, who were also heading to Our Lady of Piat. I was seated beside two old women. And I can imagine my mother, together with her church mates. I would like to think that they would pray for longer life and healthier aging years with Olay-like skin :).  There was also a mother and a little boy. And I would like to think that the mother would pray for better welfare of her family, while the little boy would pray for a PSP  or a simple toy.

It was a quiet, breezy 45-minute trip. The van driver and his assistant were talking and I noticed that they have a different dialect, which was not Ilocano nor Ibanag. It was Itawis as I was told.

When I arrived from the back of the church compound, I can imagine myself, during those days when I used to visit Our Lady of Manaoag in Pangasinan.



A mass was being celebrated. And I just sat down and quietly took photos of the side of the church. After the mass, I went to the front of the basilica.





I was looking for the commemorative inscription of the history of the church. I couldn’t roam around much since there is a consecutive mass. So, I was't able to locate it.




Devotees also lighted candles and offer prayers. 



There were also vendors of a variety of souvenirs.



Since I was catching too much attention to church goers, I took quick photos and left.



As a young child, I grew up to be religious. As I become older, and as challenges in life make marks and changes in how I view the universe; each day, I understand better what faith is all about.

What a beautiful church of bricks filled with miracles and faith this is, where people gather to pray. Where my mother frequents. And what could be her prayer? I will ask her when I see her. :)

As a wanderer, wherever I may be, I always whisper a prayer for a safe trip. and a lot more. :) A prayerful journey-er, eh.

Be safe in your travels everyone! Enjoy Life!

No comments: