Friday, October 14, 2011

Callao Cave: Fun Thoughts for the Coliseum-like Cave


I travelled from an event in Luisita, Tarlac, passed through McArthur Highway in La Union, all the way to the coastal Ilocos Region, just to be in Tuguegarao, Cagayan to catch the skylight inside Callao Cave. I arrived sundown. And it was really so dark inside the cave. I met Wilbur and Andoy, the volunteer tour guides. I arranged to meet with them the next day, instead. Andoy, was the youngest tour guide featured by Ms. Korina Sanchez and whose story was tele-played in “Maala-ala Mo Kaya”. 

After being on the road for almost 24 hours, I desired to take a break and have some sleep, on my birthday. I went to Hotel Carmelita and booked a simple room at P350.00. I had 3 beds, a television, and my own bathroom. I went around the small city, to look for trekking sandals. I think it will be better footwear to explore caves. I found one at a small mall, Mart One. It was around 7 o’clock in the evening and almost all of stores are closed. There were also lesser people in the streets. So I headed to the hotel.



At morning, I woke up, excited. I dropped by at Jollibee Tanza for breakfast-to-go. I proceeded to N. Domingo Road where the rides to Callao Caves were. In the terminal, awaited a tricycle which I was told was at 7 people capacity, plus the driver. Imagine this, 4 people inside the sidecar, and 3 people behind the driver, or 4 people on the motorcycle; total: 8. I was back riding and I couldn’t imagine how one more person would fit. Good that the other person chose to ride on top of the sidecar. That gave us more room. :D



On my way to Callao Caves, there is a part where there is a wrecked bridge, Tawi Bridge in Penablanca. We had to get off so that the vehicle could pass by the fabricated temporary wooden bridge. Or was that a pile of lumber laid to bridge the broken pathway?




A few meters away, there I saw the ruined bridge. 



After some 35 minutes from Tuguegarao City proper, I was brought near the river, Pinacauanan River. 



I was instructed to ride a boat to cross the river to where Callao Cave is. The fee was P10.00 to cross and another P10.00 to get back. Jun, the boatman, would ask what time I will be fetched from the other side. On the other side, there was Wilbur and Andoy waiting for me.



There was a 180-step stairs to the entrance of Callao Cave. 


































I brought with me breakfast for my tour guides and myself, corn-beef pandesal and hot chocolate. We could eat inside the cave but I had to offer a little bit to the spirits, said Andoy. That gave me goose bumps. So I did offer.

Andoy & Me having breakfast

Now, is the time to explore. Kalaw is a name of a hornbill- bird. These birds used to flourish in this cave. This is where Callao Cave got its name. I am sure there are a lot of descriptions of Callao Caves by travel bloggers in their sites. I would simply say, there are dead stalactites and stalagmites. I could feel the sadness inside the cave like it was abandoned. There is a Merlion-shaped rock, a whale, a Lion’s Head (like the one in Kennon Road in Baguio City), a rock version of the Rice Terraces of Banaue, and a lot more shapes that you can imagine.



I can actually go by thru this entire cave on my own two feet without much supervision. It was a self-lead tour around the cave. I passed through the 7 chambers or cave openings. I looked up to the skylights, which was like a sunroof to the cave. There was no need for a headlamp. The sunlight would be enough to shed light on. 



It was like entering a big mansion with spacious rooms. I was imagining the cave people who owned this cave, were so well-off that they even had their own swimming pool. Or was this a big Araneta Coliseum? Or was it a Sports Arena? Can you imagine a concert being held here? Or basketball games? Or Olympics, maybe? Or was this a mall?




As I reached the end of the cave, I thought, these rich cave men had a back entrance or exit. Cool. They had so much breathing space to move around. 




They were so free inside this enclosure. To run, and even to play hide-and-seek, maybe. Foolish to play this game inside the cave, but maybe, the cave men did. 



And I am sure that those people who lived before us certainly had so much fun and entertainment that they felt so protected inside this big rock shelter.






It amazes me to see these big cave creations and wonders. All I can do is imagine how people  during those times enjoyed life!

6 comments:

Pinoy Adventurista said...

wow! we took the same route... buti yung trip mo, malinaw ang river, malakas kc ang ulan when i was there, thus parang tubig baha ang river at malakas ang current... di tuloy ako nakapag-kayak... hehehe!

Journeying Pinay said...

Hi Pinoy Adventurista! when you go to Upper North Luzon, ask first about the weather thru networks, friends. At morning till afternoon, it was rainy. the next day, the sun was up! birthday ko kasi noon, that was the gift, a bright sunny day! Let's do the kayak in Cagayan River :D Thanks for the time. :D

chino said...

thanks for this , i can breathe with a sigh of relief, super tipid mode kasi talaga ako

Journeying Pinay said...

enjoy Chino!

asong kalye said...

i took the different route by riding a tricycle, since the people i talked to in Domingo spoke of different routes (now that there was changes in PUV terminals and tricycle garage made me think they aren't familiar where they stationed), on where to ride the paddleboat from the river to Callao cave, and they even made me go back and forth look for the river at the back of the palengke and to where the TODA and one even told me to ride the bus-like jeepney from the street corner.
And oh, the giant jeepney has center seat as well and the passenger can do topload. HAHA. i really don't know what they're saying, i wonder if they understand my tagalog since they spoke of different language aside from ilocano.
but i had fun, and it made me memorize the whereabouts of the most public transportation. HAHA. so when is your birthday?

Journeying Pinay said...

great adventure you had, am sure! :) Birthday is ct 13. Thanks for sharing.