Saturday, October 15, 2011

St. Philomene Church, Alcala: The Widest Church in the Philippines


Cagayan River seems to keep following me as I travel from Tuguegarao to the other towns of Cagayan Valley. I rode a van from Iguig. As I was beginning to plan my next itinerary for the next few hours before sundown, an attractive brick church was there on the side of the road. So I immediately got off.




St. Philomene Church is a red brick church which dates back to the Spanish colonization of the Philippines. It is located along the Maharlika Highway in Alcala, Cagayan. The largest brick church in the Archdiocese of Tuguegarao at 67 m in length, 24 m in width, and 12.5 m in height. It is also the widest church in the Philippines.









The church sheltered me from the heat of the sun that was blazing my skin.




 This day is full of prayers and reflection. Prayed for a safe boat ride along Cagayan River, happening in a few minutes.




No comments: