Friday, December 28, 2012

Kalinga: Authentically Tattooed


Having a tattoo had always been in my mind. But many factors limit me from doing so. Like my hair braids, that I try to have when am on a long vacation, away from the confines of a conventional world that I choose to live in. So whenever I can, I let my skin get inked with henna.









Deep within my heart is a raging spirit of love for the native, tribal, and authentic; of the world of the ancient times and the beginnings. Being different from the normal scheme of things, for me, is what makes me sensible and tranquil. Sometimes, I want to think and believe that I come from a tribe. This got me thinking seriously when I was in South Cotabato, particularly in Lake Sebu, where the the Tboli tribe exist. Instead of asking me a usual “where are you from?” or “where do you live?”, the Tboli woman spontaneously asked me, that left me stunned until today, “from what tribe are you?”


In past travels, I have found myself amazed at the Mangyans of Occidental Mindoro, Igorots of Mountain Province, Aetas of Zambales, Tagbanuas of Coron Island, Palawan. And am on my way at finding the Negritos of Apayao Mountains, who I have seen in my childhood days, the Manobos of Bukidnon, and search for more tribes. That faraway island, Babuyan Claro, whose Chieftain I met in a ferry ride upnorth, left me with so much interest of ancestral domains.


So, here I am, in Kalinga, at Tinglayan Tribe, savoring every word they utter at their language. It is more than a song to my ears.


This unscathed landscape with beautiful mountain ranges and well-sustained rice terraces is an ancestral domain.






Mount Mating-oy or Sleeping Beauty Mountain at sunrise


The rainy ambiance cools down my mind and pushes me to think clearly of things to come.






Two-hour trek away is where the oldest tattoo artist or “mambabatok” dwells; by the name of Fang-Od, as natives call her. Her name is spelled as Wang-Od or Whang-od, says her niece.





Wang-Od, Fang-Od or Whang-Od: the oldest Kalinga Mambabatok (Tattoo Artist)


Earlier, I have already seen the fine-looking, eccentric inks in the skins of two well-designed women, Chummangyag and Uwong. And I am struck with admiration. In Buscalan village, the sister of Fang-Od, named Kanna, is also skilfully tattooed.






with Chummangyag, with my all-time necklace (she requested it) :)





with Uwong, the mother of Francis Pa-in, the tour guide







with Kanna, the sister of Fang-Od


In my desire of authenticity of my existence, I am certain to get painted with a symbol that will be marked in my being; that according to Kalinga belief, a tattoo that will not be left on my body on earth, but will soar to the heavenly paradise with my soul, when my life reaches its conclusion in this world of great magnificence.





Fang-Od wearing the headware that I gave


Like my tattoo, may I leave a mark in the hearts that are touched in the things that I love to do; in the lives of people who are stroked by the goodness and the happiness that I spread in my not so ordinary travels.





ouchie!






I am Authentically Tattooed. In me. And in you.


Ammodnan ayat on si~a!


(May all the love be with you!)



11 comments:

KULAPITOT said...

gusto ko din magpatatoo pero di ko pa kaya! hahaha ! happy new year po!

Daene | Filipina in Flip Flops said...

That is hardcore! What a great tattoo, with an amazing story behind it! I've always wanted to get one myself, but have yet to muster up the courage to actually do so. This is a great way to get a tattoo - a very meaningful first time indeed (I suppose you'll have more done in the future? :D).

Awesome blog!

Daene | filipinainflipflops.com

boondocken said...

ang ganda ng tattoo mo.

Journeying Pinay said...

go, when you have the courage! :) HNY!

Journeying Pinay said...

Thank you sooo much Daene. you'll be able to muster the courage and be brave-r! you are so right, am going to have more, more, more. when am more free to ink all of me. :) more joyous journeys with your flipflops!

Journeying Pinay said...

thank you sooo much Ken! designing it was going thru a really big book about tribal tattoo, about Fang-Od. :)

ana said...

wow!! i've always wanted to go to buscalan but didn't know how. would you mind sharing how to get to buscalan from manila? and where might you get a guide who will bring you to buscalan from butbut?

Anonymous said...

Hello! May I know how much it cost for that size of tattoo from Fang-od? Thank you!

Journeying Pinay said...

hi ana.i toook the bus to tuguegarao.then went to tabuk.from tabuk.i toploaded the jeepney to tinglayan.from tinglayan,i toploaded a jeepney to butbut.then i trekked to the mountains of buscalan.
i hope that will help you. please read my post about Fracis Pain,the tour guide.
btw,so sorry for the late reply.
please add me in facebook so that i can reply to your queries right away.

Journeying Pinay said...

hello anonymous. :D the cost depends on the size and design. Fang-od will tell.

Unknown said...

Hello, po I really like your hair. Saan po kayo ng pa braids, ?