Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Bicolandia: The Church Structures in Naga


Viva La Virgen Peñafrancia! Naga in Camarines Sur celebrates this festival when they merrily hail the Our Lady of Peñafrancia. This is a catholic tradition. Our Lady of Peñafrancia is their Patron Saint, originating from the time when the Philippines was a colony of Spain.

The churches in Naga that I happened to sight-see are aged and historic. Looking at these buildings make me wonder how many prayers, praise and worship the people of Naga have devoted and whispered. Only if its walls and pillars had ears, it would have busted and bled from overhearing pleas and gratitude. 

The angels at the doorstep would always look so inviting for one to kneel down, bow one’s head and whisper a simple prayer. 

The silence locks one’s soul in pure quietude. Its illumination makes one think being lighted in heaven. 

The stares from the immovable statues of saints would make one motionless and compel one to plead guilty and be repentant for the bad acts one had went through. Well, seemingly. J




Old folks say that when it is your first time to enter a church, make a wish. For tourists like me, did I believe that and make a wish? There is no harm in trying, so they say. I was really not ready to make one. So a simple wish for a traveller like me whenever I enter these old churches would be: “Safe Travels and More Joyous Journeys.” And I have been always thankful that it had always been granted.

Thus, in my succeeding trips after this church-hopping in Naga, I would constantly come around the aged church structures and say a little prayer, come out clean, and feel heavenly.

No comments: