Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Legazpi, Albay: A Day with Mount Mayon (Volcano)

I have always wanted to go to Bicol. For Mount Mayon. Just that. And not for anything else. For its perfect cone. As I read in many Social Science books through out my schooling years. In 2007, I planned to go there, rode trip with my brand new car, a Toyota Vios, I named "Grant" (in 2007). I never had the chance. For a new driver, I did not know the way. Simple reason. Not valid, I know. My senses did not go for it that time.

But at last! 4 years after, my longing was answered. I was off to Albay to see Mount Mayon in August 2011.

There it was, majestically looking down on the entire land. Aboard the van, I was looking outside, just watching it. Even if it was covered with clouds. It was a child-like amazement, photos in my not-so-read social science books popped into my mind. This may be a soooo common natural wonder to all who awaken each day in their lives and this is what they see.



It may be so tragic for some who lost loved-ones when this volcano angrily erupted and buried many underneath the ground where everyone stands. It may be a so-so volcano for those who have seen more beautiful ones in other countries. C'mon, this has the most perfect cone-shape.



Going back to see it in May 2012 was a rush. From up in the air, I fail to always take a nice overview shot of Mount Mayon. Everytime I go to Cebu, i would be seated on the side where this can be seen. When I was on my way to Bohol, the captain even announced it. I almost stopped breathing and stared at it all the time, until the clouds would cover my sight.

I can stand up the entire day, and just watch it. From dawn until the darkness envelope its shape until it cannot be seen. My wish is to see it on a night with a bright full supermoon.

Next time I would like to be nearer. Or ride adventurously and pass on its  bumpy, rugged  and rocky paths. And stare at it until sundown, until the supermoon illuminates its beauty and perfect shape.



No comments: