Sunday, August 28, 2011

Caramoan Islands: First Time Caving at Kulapnit Cave

The tour guide said: "There is a cave. The villagers are the ones who accompany the people who go into the cave. It was Survivor people and staff who explored it." As you know, Survivor occupied one of the Islands in Caramoan for the reality-TV show. That sounded really adventurous.



We went uphill to the village. Walked by the ricefields, crossed the river, and just a few meters away was Kulapnit Cave. Kulapnit is the visayan term for bat. So you just know what to expect when inside. This was my first time to see a cave.



We entered the darkness. The villagers seemed to be in a hurry. I was chilling, looking at the crystallizing rock formations inside the cave.

Then, the guide said: "Last time, there was a big snake here." So I hurried to walk. What i remember was we were being hurried to go out. For whatever reason, I did not know. I climbed some rocks, got soaked in water. I removed my crocs, and I was already walking bare-foot.


Then, we were at a dead end. The only opening was a hole 12-feet in diameter. It was impossible to go out, I thought. But if go back, it was far. If we pass through this whole, then it will be minutes to the exit.

How will my hips fit there?


I crawled, flat on my stomach, shook my body to fit in. Yes, I had bruises on my palms, arms, legs, knees, thighs. I was not prepared to go caving. It was an impulsive decision. But it was a great first time experience.


Since I did not see much inside, I wished to see a cave in a longer duration. And see beyond. Because I believe people used to live in caves. And what I would like to see are the marks they left behind.

***************
Trip to Kulapnit Cave was in August 2011

No comments: