Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Itbayat, Batanes Isles: Not Too Far to Reach


The best part when I travel is when I go brainless. Going with the flow is what contradicts the planned days and hours that I have in the city. The feeling of just waiting for things to happen may sound pathetic. But that is precisely what I have been doing since I arrived in Batanes Isles. Having wandered around much from North to South, including the island of Sabtang, is a product of just doing what comes into mind. So thoughtless. It is opposing to the Ivatan culture of hard work and secured living. C’mon. Give me a break! I deserve it much.




itbayat, batanes isles





I did not plan. My days in Batanes come and go. Not because I have twelve days to spend but really, I liked it that way. I have done too much preparation in my city days up to the hour. And that is a fact. I expect my vacation to be relaxed, comfortable, and yes, stress-free. I arrived in Basco without knowledge of what it offers, on sceneries, food, and whatever it has. 


Church in Itbayat Town


Those boxes which also tell a story, are what is on top of my mind. So let me tell you here. A very good friend who has been following my travels handed me cash. She said, “Here, for the things that you do.” I was done giving then to Bukidnon & Lake Sebu with fabulous friends of Mindanao, and I had no definite in mind on where is the next GIVE Project, though there was a wish list, my wish list. I think on these matters, I plan a bit. Then, I am aware that I booked a trip to Basco. A trip that I had to beg four times, with all the drama, that I need to make
happen. You know how often that I just let heavens decide on matters that sometimes I do not have control of. And if the heavens shower me with great things, then I confirm, that it is what the universe wants to come about. Though I recognize that if the mind wills it, it succeeds.

 I had to call the people I know in Basco who can help me with the noble undertaking. After some challenges, an angel came to my mind. Her name is Josh. And everything about Batanes came to place. I took a quick buying spree the day before and I knew the boxes weighed much. The airline staff gave me great options that all I could say was “Thank you soo much.” For the cheap cargo payment and the free baggage allowance. And so the boxes labelled “GIVE Batanes” touched down intact.

And so they told me when I arrived, “Go to Itbayat, then.” Wherever that was.

My loquaciousness and affability have brought me to genuine friendships in my travels. I met Teacher Ermelyn in the Basco Port. In Chinapoliran Port in Itbayat, I had to ask her to help me GIVE. Then the friendship started when she told me that I can stay in her Lola’s house, where she lives. Whattah blessing! Then the next actions were unexpected. Teacher Melyn & I went to the Mayor’s Office and met Mayor Reuel Ibanez and his cute grandson. I do not usually do this but since I felt to give courtesy to the leader of the land, I went. He provided us with vehicle for the activity we will do in Raele & Yaoran. 




  Then it all happened. And I cannot say anything more. But I can only feel here in my heart. 


Yaoran Pupils & Teachers

Bong, a fellow traveler, and Head Teacher in Raele giving out stuffs

Yaoran kids

Raele pupils and teachers


Teachers of Raele Elementary School

What was so timely was to witness a “Vunong” in a nearby house. It was Lolo Ando’s 90th birthday! I just love those big leaves! And the bayanihan or working together of a community in celebrating lives both on birthdays and death. Vunong is the set of meals wrapped in big leaves. 










You know, as you notice, I did not ask more what they are called. I was relaxing much and trying to belong. And I was just enjoying all the feeling of pure pleasure in my heart of what-have-whatever this trip will offer me. You do not only know how euphoric I am until now when I remember my experience in Itbayat.



An afternoon trek and trike ride to the peak was bumpy, muddy, but cool. From the peak, you can see D’nem islet. And some more islets Siayan, Yami, and two more. Or was that 5 more? All uninhabited. Only coconut crabs exist. 

Going back the next day by simply asking a rider friend, Gerard, to take me at the peak was spontaneous, free  and fun! And a quick peek at the municipal canteen for their porridge and noodles would have made my tummy happy. 




Teacher Mitos was happy to be with us. Bong, Mark, Jologs, and Teacher Merlyn were a wacky bunch! And guess what? We had free meals at the peak because Kapitan (Barangay Captain) and his team worked at the peak. The laughter I had with the old men, farmers, fishermen, were the most indisputable. Bona fide. And I can relate greatly. Those who have heard me laughed out loud, my laughs here were greatly loudest!






Those two nights were the most serene I have ever had in my lifetime. I wish I had more. I miss “watering” the grass at midnight. Ahaha. Waking up in darkness with only the glow of the moon as my light was frightening but lovely. I wanted to stay just outside looking up at the stars in a quiet evening. I wish I had more time outdoor but it was chilly cold for me.

Leaving forcibly Itbayat Island was sad. The sea is at calmest on this day. And there will be no boats the next days. Who cares? I wanted to remain in tbayat and get stranded forever.


Teacher Merlyn and Teacher Mitos gave me vakul, fan, and keychain

Who would not want to when rich-hearted Lolo Mauro & Lola Mary would give you hugs and kisses as if you were their own? And tell you sincerely, “When you come back, you now know which house you will go back to.” Tears ran down my cheeks.


It may make you woozy sometimes to travel to Itbayat Island by their unique boat and rough sea. What I can humbly say is that - it was all worth it bringing the boxes and staying for three days. 




Walking around all by me around town was rewarding. 




Being in Itbayat was more than being in the northernmost inhabited island of the Philippines. 





In fact, it is not too far to reach. Because now, Itbayat for me has a different significance. And whatever it is, is deeply inked in my heart. So do not be amazed, that when you travel to Itbayat Island someday, you will see an elderly happy-iest pretty me.







5 comments:

Junchellecute said...

I love reading your blog about my dear town Itbayat..thank you so much!

Elal Lasola said...

Batanes is so overwhelming in my news feed these days. Can't wait to finally reach one of my dream destinations!

Unknown said...

Ate Heiz, can't wait to come here and fall in love... :-)

Unknown said...

You are a traveler with a big heart! I hope to join you in one of your GIVE projects in the near future.

ina mendoza said...

when and where will be your next give project, we might come in contact someday