Friday, January 3, 2014

Batanes Isles: Rocked in Sabtang Islet


I just wanted to go anywhere. So they asked me if I want to go to Sabtang. Surely, wherever that is.



Excitement embraced my senses and that gave me a sleepless evening. An early ride on a chilly morning with the view of the sea in a dark blue horizon made it lovelier and romantic. Coming back here on this same route is as astounding as the tour in broad daylight.
Waiting for the boats and other visitors till the day got brighter made me still. I did not want the crowd allergy to get triggered by some unnecessary clatter that can spoil my tranquillity. I think it was a dire idea to have someone who has never travelled to tag along. I think it was unnecessary too for someone to coordinate for my meals and all. I got biscuits, water in my backpack. I travel independently. And I do not have an itinerary. It annoys me sometimes to have people ask what I want. Because when I travel, planning comes along the way, so naturally. I go with the flow and the heavens just bring what I just need. I did not have to prove that to anyone. The heavens know they just occur.

The man who was seated beside me waiting for the same boat in Ivana started to talk to me. After that I got a ride. He mentioned that we ride the other bigger boat which was more comfortable than the other one. In our conversation, he was trying to ask me where I will stay. And some other men were suggesting too. And I just said, I will sleep in an old stone house. Actually, I have not seen Sabtang Island even in photos. I do not know anything about it. And I just somehow knew there might be some families I can talk to where I can be adopted. I was willing to stay for days. Because that is how I get to know the culture when I am immersed long days in my journey. I can see how worried they were that I seemed not prepared for my trip. Do not know where to eat and where to sleep. And no definite time to go back. May sound crazy to some. But that is the real thing.


People went right. We went left. And there were spots where I said “Stop Right Here!” That is my advantage as I do not go with the group. I can halt anytime I want.

And I can go back anywhere anytime I want.

Have you seen the old well? And the church ruins? Some miss this part. Maybe you can drop by a sec.

Have you seen what they call Hongkong Village? This is in Sumnanga. This “Hongkong” thing is not new to me. I heard this in Calayan Island, Babuyan Group of Islands. Then I heard people say about it too in Fuga Island. Who was promising people to make the islands like that of “Hongkong”? I so wonder.

The rough ride shook my brains but it was a beautiful coastal ride. Even if I tell “Stop Right Here!”, it was not possible. The roads were narrow and steep. So no shooting as I could not hold my camera steadily.So this is the part when i say “some creations are simply wonderful that they are captured  only by one’s eyes”. So just savor. The other island which is the cows haven is just, well, many stone throws away. I should have gone but as I said, a non-traveller tagged along with me, limiting my exploration.

I am not a sight-seer. I am more than that. I see the wonder without saying anything. I appreciate it by looking at it. And imagining how in the world that it even sprouted that way. And when no words can explain that in my mind, my faith is revived and believes more. And then I begin to worship and praise. There may be not much to do in Sabtang Island, as many say so. But that is because the tour guides make it a day tour and people just stop and look. My intention to stay longer days was cut short by friend Weng who tagged along. She was bitten by a scorpion in the old house. I really do not know. But she was okay after being seen by doctors in Basco. She got tired with the day tour and all. And I seemed to have been responsible to take care of her.

I still enjoyed my overnight extended stay in Sabtang Island. I got to sleep in Louvella’s house which happens to be the grandchild of Lolo Marcelo (who died at 105 years old in 2012). It was an accident when we found out that the ancestral house was for homestay. Weng and Louvella were classmates in College in Basco. The tatus or coconut crabs, fish and vegetables for dinner were enough to add to the sweet kamote that we had for snacks.

The wide room was fresh and my view from where I was laying down was awesome. I have always wanted a mountain view by the window of my room. I decided that I had to be relaxed and really take a restful sleep. Walking to the bathroom outside the house on a dark street with only the light of moon and the stars brought out all my courage. Not once but many times. It was cold. The massage I had was unique. And I just wish I have that rub everyday wherever I am.

The next day, I waited patiently for the sunrise to kiss me, so I can say, I am sun-kissed. I saw a group of fishermen with their boat. If I had more time, I would chill here all day. But it was time to go.

I had to bring my companion to the health center. Then to the church, so she could rest while we were waiting for the next trip. Me? I went back to the arch.

If I were a tour guide, this is what we will do in the arch.

When the boat arrived, I stayed at the rear area. Then when we were in the middle of the boat ride, we stopped. This is why. The boat crew caught a fish. I was asking them where they would have lunch. It would be fun to partake some catch with fishermen. It would be fun to listen to their fishing stories.

Usually, tourists spend a day tour in Sabtang. They thought that’s all to see. I know there would be some more if I had much time to stay there. I should have decided to stay long days. I will definitely go back and wander more freely, all by myself, in my bike. Or with a buddy who thinks the same way I do.

So long Sabtang. See you when I see you again.

No comments: