Sunday, February 1, 2015

Vigan, Ilocos Sur: Part 2 ~ Where Angels Emerge in Heritage Town


I roamed around the city. I hopped in a salon, had caramel coffee at Marsha’s, and let the hours pass by at Calle Crisologo, again, watching people,  with Purple Heart parked beside me. Still overwhelmed by the people I have met, Vida & Tita Ima. 



I tried to contact a fellow blogger, Edmar of Edmaration.com, for an empanada dinner. We motorbiked around, and met his breezy friends. Then we went dancing in the club. I shook the hands of the Governor, and the Vice Governor, and had some cocktail drinks with new acquaintances.



The next day, I jumped out of bed to see my cousin, Mark and his family. I biked one kilometre to be there, have breakfast, and sleep a bit in my cousin, Marielle’s bedroom. Whatever circumstances that passed, I am grateful for the mother of my cousins, Rowena, for the thoughtfulness and allowing me to stay in her home. The morning chat was all about career, future, and life.




Going there was a journey. Met Nana Zeny, a balikbayan, who is based in California, U.S.A. She escaped the winter and said that she was glad to be home for the holidays and eat all the vegetables that she wanted. She was helping Julie here, dry the corns. The enormous corns which I wished were food for humans.



I saw a boy on top of sugarcane. Smiling like a prince.



When I was back in Vigan, I met Tito Alex & his wife, the other owners of the ancestral home, Villa Angela. The short talk was wow. How did I ever come to meet people of such character? Tito Alex told me to go to the plaza and look for Nana Tina’s delicious fried shrimps with flour, onions, and flour, called okoy. I crave this eversince. And When I go back, this is all that I will eat.




I chanced upon the musical fountain show at the plaza. And I thought how lucky these people are to have a fancy occasion every weekend, at no cost. I can say it was an effortless display and drizzle. That was enough watermark of my short but sweet visit in a lovely place like Vigan.

A more than twenty-four hour’s journey. And I am so full. Some friends always tell me that I am lucky because I always meet people in my trips who end up being my friends. I also do not know how I do it. A friend would tease me that it is journeying pinay charm. 


I say, I carry the good vibes. I have always believed that all the best things happen to good people. I travel to meet and talk to people. I am not a photographer of sites and scenes. I think, I am a traveller who gets involved. It just happens. Like magic. It is not in the plan. I do not have a plan, all the time. I guess it is what they call spontaneity. I think that is how I do it, naturally.  So be it. Abracadabra!





And I am delighted to experience Vigan this way. More than being one of the Seven Wonders. How can you not be startled by wonderful people you cross paths with in Vigan? I feel more than that. And I can persist going back all the time. To meet more angels. 




No comments: