Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013: A Year of Holding On

The year that passed left me with tribal inks that I believed confirmed all my authenticity. That was indeed traditional, as considered by many. That was a conventional yearning that later mystified my identity in the customary scheme of things.  It was the traditional which was considered as not conservative by several.

The year that passed, which was filled with travels that happened every now and then and even more than often, moved me to go for more this year. But this time, it was literally chasing my trips, running after all of the reserved flights. More than the usual journeying me, the travels were more utilized for reflection purposes.




There was Bangkok and the temples where I prayed. The second time for Singapore which was sprinkled with child-likeness, taught me which in life I should give value to. Chilling in wintry Beijing while walking along the Great Wall of China, confirmed my strength as a human being. Choosing not to pursue the trip to Seoul, Korea which was completed with a visa, plane ticket and hotel bookings, was truly hurtful. But it was a time to tell self, “stop and walk awhile.” Which I did.  And I regret it big time on not going. It was not worth it to call it off. Another trip was again supposed to be cancelled, but I just had to persist on travelling and keep on moving on. It was a great choice going to Malaysia’s Cameron Highlands, Melaka and Kuala Lumpur.



Because I cannot live fully without going places, I had to intentionally choose to travel. That trip to the other side of Panay Island, Antique & Capiz, was mystical and swift, squeezing a quick spree to Boracay Island in between. Visiting Bacolod & Iloilo were filled with sweetness, majestic and historical experience. 

The unplanned tours of some provinces in Mindanao were spontaneous. Pagadian, Zamboanga, Dapitan Dipolog, Davao’s Samal Island, & Davao;s Eagle Sanctuary, General Santos, Saranggani, South Cotabato, Ozamis, Bukidnon, Cagayan de Oro, Agusan del Norte, Zamboanga and Basilan were unexpectedly peaceful and thrilling.  In my intense desire to be back to that journeying me, I had to support the things that make me joyful, which is giving. Impromptu G.I.V.E. Bukidnon was done, followed by G.I.V.E. Lake Sebu, South Cotabato. A short and sweet trip to Davao Oriental Governor Generoso’s lighthouses and rock formations were fearlessly reviving. Literally, it brought my spirits of gentle fierceness back to existence.



The second time trip to Palawan’s El Nido would have bonded my camaraderie with a very good friend. It was an incredibly good plan. There are just countless matters that arise which I sometimes wished never ever transpired. Do I regret that I aborted the plan and left my friend doing a solo trip? Yes, I did. Somehow it made my friend become more independent. And I am glad that she was all geared up and she was grateful for my tips.

My short-time trip to Samar & Leyte, likewise, did not push thru due to some unusual catastrophe that brought the United Nations to show their sympathy and display their warships to the world, which every Filipino was truly grateful for.

The year cannot end for my journeys to be just like that – a mix of go and no-go trips. A mixed of emotions of sadness over trips that were called off, and of thrill that was brought by my “pack & go” short and sweet, and really exciting travels.

Batan, Itbayat & Sabtang Islands are in the list, as I landed on the 30th of December in Basco, Batanes. G.I.V.E. Batanes is sealed in boxes waiting to be given away to children in one of these islands. This trip extends to the first days of the new year. And that long vacation is what is creating butterflies in my stomach. And air in my mind. What more can I ask for? I have a bed, a house, for free. I have instant chef who cooked his fresh organic produce of lettuce, beef, green veggies, native eggs of chickens and ducks; An instant photographer who took my photos in lieu of my tripod and perspectives; An instant travel buddy whom I roamed around to places not commonly visited; An instant travel guide who brought me to places of his childhood; An instant tour of Batan Island during the chilly, drizzly, cloudy first day, just the way I liked it.



There is nothing more challenging for me now but to drain my heart and mind of all the ghastly and heart-rending moments I should have triumphed over this year. I actually forgot everything. The breeze-y winds on my face while viewing the sea as far as my eyes could see, took all the quandaries of my spirit. And this island has brought me into daydreaming; encouraged to journey more than I used to do; inspired to surmount with bliss whatever downbeats that will draw close to my human bubbles. And live intensely, victoriously, and earnestly,  (L.I.V.E.)  & keep on holding on.

Hanyit mabendito vayu a wan! (Heavens bless your new year!)

And happy 12-days of "living" in Batanes for me from now onwards. Wishing it to be 12 months or years!

****
uploading this post in a chilly night before midnight of January 1, 2014 in the plaza of Basco was frustrating due to the bad signal of my wireless internet. it was thrilling though to witness bicycles tagging cans and metals behind them for a noisy new year.

No comments: