Monday, April 29, 2013

Babuyan Island: Calayan Island's Amazing Coves


From afar, Calayan Island for me was not an island, it was a country. Ahaha. Two hours away, the steam coming from the ocean gave me a sight of a mountainous and immovable land. The right side of the island reflects not soft but irregular, rough & sharp edges. As the boat got closer, the thirty minutes seemed like hours. The island was getting bigger as I imagined. It was not flat like the Fuga Island that we passed by. 








Sunblazed and drenched as my feet touched the pristine sands of Calayan Island.  I knew that it was going to be an adventure. I just came here with my backpack and did not know really what to see when I walked from the beach to the road. With no homestay reservation, I was bracing myself to camp by the beach. Or maybe pick some lobsters and crabs at the shore for my sustenance. That Cast Away movie in my thoughts.




 Dripping wet smelling like the sea with my skin still warm from being barbeque-d by the sun, I walked out of the sand to look for civilization. The road was paved. But choosing to go right or left was not even an option. I just wanted to wander.


Asking around would be my best arm all the time. Arriving in Tes Singun's homestay was a shock as I passed by the full-body mirror. Seeing myself as a shadow is a starstuck moment. This cannot be repaired by putting on sunblock. It is too late. Who cares, it is summer anyway!


I first asked for a bicycle to use. Biking would be my best way to roam around. But going to the Sabang Cove and Caniwara Cove and all those coves would entail walking. 

I do not know for how long. Missing the right path to my target destination would lead to getting lost and finding a very stunning cove. 



The best view I have seen so far. My desire to see the other nice coves that were known in other parts of the country vanished at this moment. Oh so striking! Holy Beautiful!!!!





Thoughts on how to go below was crazy. I could leap at that instant like jumping into the water. The thrill was rushing in my entire body. The next day, finding the way was relieving. But getting lost was a blessing. Wow!





The waves would give you second thoughts to even dip. The sea that continues to recede reveals the rocky shoreline. The beach is full of broken and dead corals. It looks like a rainstorm just passed by. The debris on the shore that is composed of wood, shoes, plastic bottles seems that those came from a boat wrecked by the burly waves. 



The receding sea gives an opportune time for a man of the sea in taking chances to pick scorpions and crabs by the seashore. 



Going farther and reaching that white rock from afar under an extreme sunny weather was draining my energy. But I cannot just miss the other cove.


The low tide showed the coral reef where people of the sea pick shells and other water creatures for food. It was equally beautiful here. But I had to hurry to go back before the tide rises. The coral reef will be submerged in water and I might get trapped at this cove. It is actually a good problem to deal with.




It was a sun-blazing, Oh-some, breathtaking day at this not-so-ordinary beach. The coves in Calayan Island exotically exude uniqueness. No other cove that I have seen can match its perfect splendor.


6 comments:

jherson jaya said...

The cove is very inviting to just do beach bumming =)

Anonymous said...

The pictures of the Island look so majestic and surreal. I'd love to visit this unspoiled paradise.

Edmar del Castillo Guquib said...

"From afar, Calayan Island for me was not an island, it was a country"

Panalo ang opening remarks! Hahaha.

Journeying Pinay said...

it is jherson.it is exotic to stay just be the shoreline.stunning view really.

Journeying Pinay said...

it is paradise boytoypoi! :D go and see the real thing. more wonderful than the photos.

Journeying Pinay said...

ahaha. Edmar. yan talaga sinabi ko when i saw the island as it became clearer as we go closer. it is a country! :D