Sunday, April 28, 2013

Babuyan Islands: Sunburned and Drenched On My Journey to Calayan Island


The tail end of the cold front on a holy day teased my senses more in going to the big island in Babuyan Group, Calayan Island. The boatman said that afternoon, as he looked up in the sky: "There is an advisory from Taiwan that sailing is not permissible." Then a cold gust of wind touched my cheeks and made those little braids of my hair shift.




The next attempt the day after was promising. It was a small-big boat. Not small bancas. Not a ferry. It was like that boat in the waterworld movie. It was like a cargo boat. I was looking for the wooden seats that are usually at the middle. There was none. It was mysterious at the beach. Positioning all the merchandise to fit in the boat reached the daybreak.




The waters close to the shoreline were ruthless. The sun was starting to blaze. The boat was fullpacked. With bicycles, merchandise, and people. Toploading at the border of this boat was the very last thing I would like to do with no floaters. As the boat sailed, the sea became unruffled like an untouched swimming pool. It will take five hours to reach Calayan Island in the Babuyan Group, wherever that is, as I travel with no map and let me say, with unawareness.




The men of the boat would balance themselves in the bamboos not like walking on a trapeze but resembling a walk in the air. Look, no hands! In as much as I would like to do that do, I have to plead guilty that I dread being next to or beng in the ocean. Dreams of drowning have haunted my desires to be a great swimmer.


The splatter of waters at this side where I toploaded drenched me. I should have preferred to stay at the center or anywhere else but here. I thought, maybe, I was destined to be at this side. Those rides at theme parks where you soaked with water can never be compared to this real thing.


If I will have to do it again, I will still opt to go to Calayan Island via Claveria Cagayan, journey in a real water world manner of transportation. This is the authentic ride. A fleet thru the Babuyan Channel in the infinite sea is a concoction of fear, excitement, zeal, and willpower.


Touchdown Calayan Island. Sun-blackened, dripping wet, and euphoric.


***********************************
The trip to Calayan Island was in April 2012







2 comments:

Earl (Suroy Pilipinas) said...

Is that the Sentinela Cove in the 4th pic? I miss that place. Nice braids Heiz!

Journeying Pinay said...

yes earl, you know sentinela so well!! :D thanks, and i miss braiding my hair this summer.