Friday, July 6, 2012

Boracay Beach: That Powdery Bright White Seaside


I am not a beach. Not a beach person. I remember that childhood beach summer moment at Claveria coast when my father had to run to me, carry me, and dip me into the water; me struggling to get untangled from his hugs and grip, shouting a screaming “Nooooo!”. Fail. There I was, standing by the waves, smiling at all the relatives at the picnic hut. Click! Captured by the camera; my photo now in one of my mother’s best kept albums.

Was that the distressing event which lead me not to wet my feet with ocean water? Or river water? Or waterfalls water?







I have been to a lot of beaches: Batangas, Quezon, Ilocos, Cagayan Valley, Cavite, Bataan, Zambales, Subic, Bohol. I have seen a lot of coast lines. But I wonder why my friends would yearly go to the place they all call Boracay.

After three years of persuading me to travel with them, they finally succeeded, and did all the arrangements for me. I just tagged along. Packed my bag, no swimsuits, just what I had available from my closet. They would usually prepare and really get so excited in going, even if they have been there a number of times.




I saw Boracay beach in a post card in July. We travelled in August. That is all what I know about beaches. Sand, water, waves. That is what is in the post card. That is what I expected. When we arrived, I lost my friends. Or was it me who got lost? Who would get lost in a crowd? Me. So, I stopped. Sat still. I was shocked, I guess. The people walking confused me. I remember watching a Tagalog Movie of Aga Mulach & Anne Curtis that was done in Boracay. And I knew that time that I did not want to go here. Kill-joy. Please do not judge me. As I stated, I have travelled to several beaches before I came to Boracay. Hushed beaches. And I just know what quietude I look for when they say “beach”. I imagine about seaside. You know, sand, water, waves. Which Boracay has. Without the silence.



So what did I do? I spent five days, looking at the powdery long beach. Touching the sand, running it down through my hands; feeling how fine it is. Thinking how much deeper beyond,  these little bits of sand go from the shore to the beach, beneath the waves. The same sand in my hands, so fine, so bright, and so white. Just that. I got excited doing just that. Good thing, too, that we went island hopping and snorkelling. Then we landed on a more quiet island. That made me feel even better.


The boat ride and the gentle island. I just knew what I would be pleased about.  I just knew what to do again when I go this powdery long white coastline, every beach person in the world go to, and which everybody call, Boracay! Now I think I love the seaside. I  heart Boracay. 



*******************************
This is for my friends, the Peegees!

3 comments:

Paula O said...

Happy Anniversary to the Boracay post Heiz! (well, almost!) :-)

-palos- said...

make it my Boracay too! :-)
this is my party beach!

Journeying Pinay said...

why not Migz. letz party there soon. :)