Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Larena, Siquijor: Brown Coffee Moments with Nanay Mary

This is Mary. I called her "Nanay" Mary. She is 63 years old.






I planned to take the 5:30am boat/roro from Larena, Siquijor back to Dumaguete, Negros Oriental, to catch my flight with Cebu Pacific going back to Manila.


I woke up at a cold early morning breeze. I was still very sleepy, not being able to complete my usual needed 6-hour sleep. I walked from South Town to the nearby Larena port. In darkness, I found my way, since I already walked the streets of Larena at daylight.


I bought my ticket for the Ocean Jet, then changed my mind and chose to ride the bigger, open air boat. Since I was early, and a little bit dizzy, I walked and found my way at a small store near the port. An old lady was there. I asked, "May kape po kayo? Brown Coffee?" She said, with a very accommodating tone, "Naku, wala na. Teka." Then she left the store. And walked away. She came back with brown coffee in her hand. I smiled. What was in my mind? "She really walked that "extra mile" to look for a brown coffee at the other stores nearby, just for me." I felt special.



I poured my brown coffee powder in the mug. And put hot water from the thermos. She was talking to me and telling me things, asking me. Of course, I did not quite understand everything. It was Bisaya.


She asked where I live. I said, "Manila po." Then she told me this in mixed Bisaya, English, and Tagalog. (More on English): "I have 7 children. Only 1 daughter. Do you go to the airport in Manila? My daughter works at the airport. She is assigned at the ground."


She went inside their house. Then she came out with a big laminated photo. I think that was 24inch by 24inch frame. "This is my daughter. She is boyish because she has 6 older brothers." She had many stories to tell. I just sipped my brown coffee. "All f them finished College. This is my daughter, maybe you will see her at the airport," she proudly told me. She also told me how her children were able to finish college. Bottomline, she did all that she could do to earn for her children. And send them to college.


Then I asked, "24 hours po bang bukas ito (tindahan)?" She said, "Oo." Then I asked, "Hindi pa po kayo natutulog?" This is what she said: "My husband and I. Swap kami. Siya sa gabi, ako sa umaga." That was something really sweet to hear. So I asked, "Nasaan na po yung  boyfriend ninyo?" Nanay Mary said, "Ayun tulog na," with a lot of smiles in her face.


Nanay Mary is beautiful. I just couldn't keep this to myself that time: "Ang ganda nyo po."
She said, "Thank you."


Then i asked permission if I can take her a photo of her. She hesitated at first, "Nahihiya ako." Then I asked again, "Pwede po ba magpapicture kasama kayo?"






More than the beauty that I saw in this enchanting island of Siquijor, I saw the beauty inside and out of this old lady. A mother, so very proud of her daughter. A couple working together. (Look at the name of the store: Mer & Nok's Little Sari-Sari). Nakakatuwa. 


A simple short conversation. But full of life. Nakakataba ng puso.


What-tah way to start my morning. I am already filled. Full. And I had fun.


Travelling solo is not that easy. But with the many people around me I select to talk to, accidents happen. Or maybe not an accident. Maybe this was meant to happen. Yes it was meant to happen. That I meet Nanay Mary. 


The feeling of "being on my own" is overruled, by these sweet short talks with God's wonderful creations. :) 


******
This encounter is just one of my interfaces with the Pinoys I meet in my travels. Which enrich my joyous journeys.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww Sweet time at Siqujour ,Great that I wasnt able to read something that is creepy as other people would always say. :) yay! I hope I can visit there too, Pag may trabaho na ako! :D Haha

escape said...

i miss long boat trips and quite nice that you chose to ride the bigger boat over the fastcraft. that yu can do when you go to basilan.

Journeying Pinay said...

hi Billy Boy :) just save your allowance while you are a student. and you can start to travel. thanks for reading.

Journeying Pinay said...

hi dom. i road the fastcraft going to siQuijor. nice but seemed crowded. :) so i chose the bigger boat going back to dumaguete. will definitely go to basilan for longer boat rides. Thanks!