Saturday, January 28, 2012

Singapore: My First Step To Freedom

Having been embraced by my country, the Philippines, for many years since birth has  given me hesitation and fear of getting out of here. But if only I had the courage to apply for a  passport so that I could actually go out of the country, I believe I would have stayed out more than expected. And maybe I would still be out there, somewhere in between continents. And put my self on exile, for a long time, never to be found. However, the heavens did not plan it to happen that way. There was something crazy with my name that is why I lost hope and got lazy in applying for a passport. So when I was issued one, and when I had money to travel, I was determined to fly out.

I considered Singapore as a comfort zone, an extension of the Philippines, as close friends who chose to work there, were there to welcome me. 

At my age, travelling alone outside of the country, was more than an act of  bravery. It was to confirm my long-over due freedom.
 
Many have written much about Singapore. And I really did not read about them. As I knew, my friends would lead the way. This was not the dream as the first country I wanted to land on was Japan. There were some changes the month before, so I opted to fly to somewhere near, dubbed as clean city, Singapore. I really did not know what to see.


One thing I can share for first timers, remember to indicate the address in the immigration form. Due to excitement, I forgot. All I did was to smile to the strict looking female immigration officer and tell her, "Oh so sorry, I missed to write that." I was blessed to have a roaming post-paid Philippine simcard and was able to contact my friend, Yam, who was waiting just outside the Budget Airport. I tried to ring her number and it was connected. All I said was, "Give me your address." We were both laughing when we met outside. My heart was beating, maybe of nervousness, having passed the immigration; and some excitement, to meet my friend. There was a thorn pulled out from my heart, and as if it said: "This is freedom." Freedom that I can actually get out of my country, not as an overseas Filipino worker, but as a traveler. Because I never wanted to work outside my country. Also, it was freedom for me to finally travel, as this was what I wanted when I was younger.

What a wonderful bus system and train system. The EZ Link was convenient. The buildings and apartments were organized. There are parks and trees amidst the city landscape. Though life seems to be busy for most people here, it is refreshing for someone like me. Then I told my friend, if only I was braver when I was younger, I would have been here or elsewhere. The ambiance was more peaceful; and seemingly would make life lighter to carry. I can shed my extra pounds just by walking around, station to station, or just anywhere. I was happy to be in my rubber shoes. Because it was more comfortable.

My friends, Yam & Von,  treated me to Sentosa on my first day. I went to Universal Studios by myself, on the second day, which raged my other group of friends, we call Peegees: "Why did you not tell us, we should have accompanied you!" I knew they have gone there before. So I did not bother them. I am not fond of theme parks. But I tried, anyway. Then, we had dinner, got lost in some train stations, that gave us some good laughs, and roamed around Marina Bay Sands.   



It was Chinese New Year in January 2012 when I arrived in Singapore. The events are a bonus! My third day was a treat to Singapore Zoo by another friend, Sheila. Then a paper bag of chocolates was given by a relative, Haidee, when we met in Merlion Park. Then, the day was capped with a dinner & coffee treat from my college friend, Viv. After, I headed to the airport to catch my flight.






My first trip was almost free! I had a great time. I was awe-struck all through out. This comfortable first-time, out of the country journey, was not only memorable, but it definitely got me excited to see more of the South East. 

So let the journeying begin.

No comments: